What is on my Powder Blue Tang?

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've read a zillion threads at this point, but I want to confirm a diagnosis before I stress out my Power Blue Tang (PBT) with a freshwater dip. He is about 8 years old. My PBT started by having a cloudy eye, and it seemed to be Pop Eye. I gave him Kanaplex, and it cleared up the problem a couple of months ago. However, it comes back now and then for a day or two. I recently had a temperature spike to 82 degrees because my chiller died. My tank is normally 78. I got it under control in a day. Once back to normal temp, white things appeared, possibly flukes? I'm not completely sure it's not ich, though. I've given him two days of Kanaplex, but so far not much different, but not worse. His gills don't seem affected, and his respiratory rate seems fine. He's eating and mostly out with his Midas Blenny friend. He is spending a little extra time in front of one of the jets. No other inhabitants seem affected.

Please have a look and give me your opinion about what the diagnosis is. I've read enough threads to know the treatment options for flukes and ich. I mostly want the diagnosis, again hesitating about the freshwater dip (I know that will let me know if it's flukes) just because I want to avoid the stress on him if that's not it. Here's a video on YouTube with narration:
Tank Details:
180-gallon reef tank
Only six other fish in the tank, several hermit crabs, and one Turbo snail
Two inches of Sand and a lot of live rock
This tank is five years old, but most of the inhabitants lived in my previous tank, including my PBT, and that tank had been established for 15 years
All water quality parameters within normal limits

IMG_4291.jpg IMG_4296.jpg IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4298.jpg IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4301.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pictures would be better if you can do under white light.? Are there any other sick fish? Have you treated with prazipro or other medications? The history sounds like Ich and some areas are also looking like it as well.

PS if its ich you're best option would be treating all of the fish in a separate tank - with copper followed by prazipro.

If you think its flukes - a freshwater dip is not a bad idea - I'm hoping that you can get more information if you post a white light picture

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this is flukes since they are normally not visible to the naked eye. While a freshwater dip might provide some relief for the fish if it is flukes, medication or hypo-salinity would be the choices for treatment. If your tank has been fluke-free, the temperature spike shouldn't have been a problem. However, if you added any fish recently that may have been carriers........

The area below the gill plate as well as the skin tag on the chin, and the eye look more like possible injuries. Did the fish possibly tangle with another fish? The whlte spots above the eye may be ich, but could be mucus or sand. They warrant close observation to see how they develop. Are any other fish showing symptoms?

The video was nice, maybe not quite as sharp as could be, but definitely better than just a picture.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I've read a zillion threads at this point, but I want to confirm a diagnosis before I stress out my Power Blue Tang (PBT) with a freshwater dip. He is about 8 years old. My PBT started by having a cloudy eye, and it seemed to be Pop Eye. I gave him Kanaplex, and it cleared up the problem a couple of months ago. However, it comes back now and then for a day or two. I recently had a temperature spike to 82 degrees because my chiller died. My tank is normally 78. I got it under control in a day. Once back to normal temp, white things appeared, possibly flukes? I'm not completely sure it's not ich, though. I've given him two days of Kanaplex, but so far not much different, but not worse. His gills don't seem affected, and his respiratory rate seems fine. He's eating and mostly out with his Midas Blenny friend. He is spending a little extra time in front of one of the jets. No other inhabitants seem affected.

Please have a look and give me your opinion about what the diagnosis is. I've read enough threads to know the treatment options for flukes and ich. I mostly want the diagnosis, again hesitating about the freshwater dip (I know that will let me know if it's flukes) just because I want to avoid the stress on him if that's not it. Here's a video on YouTube with narration:
Tank Details:
180-gallon reef tank
Only six other fish in the tank, several hermit crabs, and one Turbo snail
Two inches of Sand and a lot of live rock
This tank is five years old, but most of the inhabitants lived in my previous tank, including my PBT, and that tank had been established for 15 years
All water quality parameters within normal limits

IMG_4291.jpg IMG_4296.jpg IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4298.jpg IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4301.jpg

There is a POSSIBILITY of flukes. the eye suggests such and the belly is a sign of the fish itching and scratching along with irritation. I'd like to see the rest of fish to assure body does not have issues they are susceptible to.
Please provide pics of fish under white light intensity

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are all awesome. I so appreciate the help, although it sounds like there are quite a few varying opinions. I'll see if I can get some white light pics. All the other fish (one Pipefish, two clowns, one Flamehawk, one Green Mandarin, and one Midas Blenny are perfectly fine. I've only done two days of Kanaplex so far.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here are three more pics under white light. Hope this helps. Thank you!
Need pure white light but at the mouth is bacterial and will need treatment ASAP. Best is Seachem kanaplex in a separate tank. Still need side pics
I assume fish has elevated breathing?
Eating at all? If so, easiest will be brine shrimp for it while mouth heals
Even try posting a 30 second you tube video

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need pure white light but at the mouth is bacterial and will need treatment ASAP. Best is Seachem kanaplex in a separate tank. Still need side pics
I assume fish has elevated breathing?
Eating at all? If so, easiest will be brine shrimp for it while mouth heals
Even try posting a 30 second you tube video
I posted a video initially if you want to see him, but it was under blue light. Here's one of his whole body. He moves so quickly pics are hard to get. Also, he has never fought with anyone. He is the dominant fish in the tank.

Attachments

• Entire Fish.jpg
    Entire Fish.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a video initially if you want to see him, but it was under blue light. Here's one of his whole body. He moves so quickly pics are hard to get. Also, he has never fought with anyone. He is the dominant fish in the tank.
Also, I've done two days of Seachem Kanaplex using Focus to bind it to Mysis Shrimp. I added a bag of carbon to the sump with a jet on it. I read that helps the live coral in the tank. Do I need to QT if he's eating the Kanaplex?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've done two days of Seachem Kanaplex using Focus to bind it to Mysis Shrimp. I added a bag of carbon to the sump with a jet on it. I read that helps the live coral in the tank. Do I need to QT if he's eating the Kanaplex?
Thanks for the complete post and good pictures.

Skip binding kanaplex to focus, too tricky to use if you don’t calculate the dose properly, kanaplex can be toxic. The correct dose is 50 mg per kg of fish weight every three days. We have a calculating tool in the fish disease forum if you want to do oral meds properly.

I would not try a FW dip on the tang, too much risk beating the fish up trying to catch it.

The things under the mouth just look like skin tags. The cloudy eyes might be Neobenedenia flukes. Some of the other spots could be those also. I did see some fin flicking which can also be a sign of flukes.

Have you considered dosing the whole tank with praziquantel? That might resolve the issue without having to catch the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skip binding kanaplex to focus, too tricky to use if you don’t calculate the dose properly, kanaplex can be toxic. The correct dose is 50 mg per kg of fish weight every three days. We have a calculating tool in the fish disease forum if you want to do oral meds properly.

I would not try a FW dip on the tang, too much risk beating the fish up trying to catch it.

The things under the mouth just look like skin tags. The cloudy eyes might be Neobenedenia flukes. Some of the other spots could be those also. I did see some fin flicking which can also be a sign of flukes.

Have you considered dosing the whole tank with praziquantel? That might resolve the issue without having to catch the fish.

Jay
Thank you, Jay. Would the praziquantel hurt my coral, or would that be ok?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay. Would the praziquantel hurt my coral, or would that be ok?
Generally, pure praziquantel or Prazipro is safe for corals and other invertebrates if you dose the actual volume of water in the tank, have good aeration, and don’t let any prazi powder land on the corals (they will retract if that happens).
You would dose once, then 8 days later do a 25% water change and dose again. Neobenedenia sometimes needs a third treatment.
You will find there is a nutrient bump after treatment, so you need to manage that so it doesn’t affect the corals.

Jay

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, pure praziquantel or Prazipro is safe for corals and other invertebrates if you dose the actual volume of water in the tank, have good aeration, and don’t let any prazi powder land on the corals (they will retract if that happens).
You would dose once, then 8 days later do a 25% water change and dose again. Neobenedenia sometimes needs a third treatment.
You will find there is a nutrient bump after treatment, so you need to manage that so it doesn’t affect the corals.

Jay
You're awesome! Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I saw video but was dark on my phone. I still think flukes. As Jay stated- safe to use. I would recommend dosing at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw video but was dark on my phone. I still think flukes. As Jay stated- safe to use. I would recommend dosing at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
It's nice to have another vote for Prazi treatment. Great reminder about the skimmer & not to freak over reduced appetite.I have airstones I can add and already have several jets. Any particular reason you're recommending 85% dose? Thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Do you see the spots on the fins in one of the pictures?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back