What is on my Powder Blue Tang?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope, you and Jay were leaning toward flukes the other night. I know you have a lot of threads going.
Actually - I was under the impression (my mistake) that you were thinking about doing both. In any case - the idea is you would put the fish in a hospital tank dosed with the appropriate dose of kanamycin with all of the usual caveats (increased aeration, a filtration method that won't alter kanamycin, etc)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I'm about 27 hours into the Prazi. My PBT actually looks worse, and he & everyone in the tank seem pretty stressed by the airstone and extra jets creating bubbles for O2. Here is an updated picture. Any additional thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Zora_CloseUp 2-1-24.jpg Zoro 2-1-24.jpg

That lesion on the belly looks much worse, and that is not directly due to flukes (it could be secondary bacterial infection from flukes, or an injury).

The oral medication is the only way to treat that in a display tank like this, but oral meds, on an external bacterial infection are pretty useless. Treatment with a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank would be the best thing to do - however, as I mentioned catching this fish is going to likely cause additional damage, and then, big tangs like this don't do wll in small treamtent tanks.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back