What is on my Powder Blue Tang?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did for the first time when I looked at that picture. What are you thinking?
To me it looks more ich-like - but could be one or both.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to have another vote for Prazi treatment. Great reminder about the skimmer & not to freak over reduced appetite.I have airstones I can add and already have several jets. Any particular reason you're recommending 85% dose? Thank you!
About 15% of a typical tank is rock or viral that displaces the actual water volume. A 100 gallon tank usually holds about 85 gallons. If you know the actual volume of water, you can just dose that.

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 15% of a typical tank is rock or viral that displaces the actual water volume. A 100 gallon tank usually holds about 85 gallons. If you know the actual volume of water, you can just dose that.
That makes total sense. Off to the LFS now for the Prazi. Thank you all very much!

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I'm about 27 hours into the Prazi. My PBT actually looks worse, and he & everyone in the tank seem pretty stressed by the airstone and extra jets creating bubbles for O2. Here is an updated picture. Any additional thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Zora_CloseUp 2-1-24.jpg Zoro 2-1-24.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does that correspond to the area that was only slightly white at first?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I admit - it's hard to tell exactly what it is - but it at minimum looks like a bacterial infection - vs a ton of mucus being produced by the skin. Will ask @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081. In the meantime - its really hard to dose kanamycin in a display tank - was that what you decided on?

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit - it's hard to tell exactly what it is - but it at minimum looks like a bacterial infection - vs a ton of mucus being produced by the skin. Will ask @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081. In the meantime - its really hard to dose kanamycin in a display tank - was that what you decided on?
Thanks for your help and theirs, too. I did notice today that there was a thin black rubber strip that had peeled off the corner seam where he hangs out the most. He seemed to be positioning it to scratch his belly. That could have made it worse, but that doesn't explain his mouth.
And, yes, before the Prazi, I was trying to feed Kanaplex to him. If you think I should go back to that, I can be really careful and be sure to follow the dosing table here on R2R. I know Jay & I were worried about catching him and putting him in QT, but I can certainly try. I would have to be lightning-fast to get him, though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your help and theirs, too. I did notice today that there was a thin black rubber strip that had peeled off the corner seam where he hangs out the most. He seemed to be positioning it to scratch his belly. That could have made it worse, but that doesn't explain his mouth.
And, yes, before the Prazi, I was trying to feed Kanaplex to him. If you think I should go back to that, I can be really careful and be sure to follow the dosing table here on R2R. I know Jay & I were worried about catching him and putting him in QT, but I can certainly try. I would have to be lightning-fast to get him, though.
Let's wait what they say - I believe (but I may be mixing up a thread) that @Jay Hemdal recommended kanamycin a couple days ago? the oral kanamycin was likely non-effective.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not add Kanaplex to food as its easily absorbed and foe added aeration, air stone is most effective. Get him during night or fish trap
I still see signs of bacterial warranting broad spectrum treatment in which Kanaplex is effective.

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For increased oxygenation, you could aim one or two powerheads at the surface. It makes a bit of noise and is annoying but it works.
Yes, I have four powerheads aimed up as well as one 700 gph in the sump right by the main pump that's generating a lot of O2. I read threads about others using Prazi and not generating enough O2, and their fish died. I wasn't going to let that happen.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jay wanted me to stop the way I was dosing the Kanaplex in the food because of the potential toxicity.
Correct. He recommended treatment and gave the approximate volume of the water in your tank based on your rock? Anyway - its still a little unclear whether you do or do not currently have a medication in the water?

OP
OP
ReefPsych

ReefPsych

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. He recommended treatment and gave the approximate volume of the water in your tank based on your rock? Anyway - its still a little unclear whether you do or do not currently have a medication in the water?
I started Prazi yesterday around 5pm.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started Prazi yesterday around 5pm.
Oh OK - I thought someone recommended putting kanamycin in a hospital tank and treating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back