What is on this Tang?

Flyboycitabria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get some help with identifying and treating this Tang?
20210223_091641.jpg
20210223_091556.jpg
20210223_091534.jpg
20210223_091127.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Was this fish recently in an aquarium with anemones or corals? Those marks look like injuries, and stings are one way that can happen. If not, then has it been captured in a net recently?
Jay

Upvote 0

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely has some injuries with possible infections starting. If it was in my display I would let it heal on its own but since you seem to have it in a quarantine tank I would treat it with meds for infections. I would make sure the water is as pristine as possible in the tank and feed it well and it should be fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Flyboycitabria

Flyboycitabria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely has some injuries with possible infections starting. If it was in my display I would let it heal on its own but since you seem to have it in a quarantine tank I would treat it with meds for infections. I would make sure the water is as pristine as possible in the tank and feed it well and it should be fine.
What type of medication do you recommend?

Upvote 0

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of medication do you recommend?
antibiotics etc...
You should post this in the disease and treatment forum so you get the right eyes and answers for combating your fishes health issues from professionals in medicating and treating fish. I just usually let them heal on their own and don't quarantine.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a 15gal tank with 2 anemones and rocks. The store clerk did a crappie job trying to net him.
Sorry to hear - what is your treatment plan for it? The skin on its sides looks superficial and will heal on their own, but the mouth is pretty bunged up. Is it eating well? You should also consider a copper treatment - my guess is any LFS that would beat a fish up like this catching it probably doesn't have a good treatment plan in place themselves.

If the fish isn't eating, you should dose the tank with a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex.

Monitor your ammonia level in the QT!

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Flyboycitabria

Flyboycitabria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
antibiotics etc...
You should post this in the disease and treatment forum so you get the right eyes and answers for combating your fishes health issues from professionals in medicating and treating fish. I just usually let them heal on their own and don't quarantine.
Thank you everyone for your help and support. I will keep him in a quiet low light quarantine for the next 10 days and keep a close eye on him. I will order some basic medications to have on hand and hope for the best. Again,than you.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back