What is the correct temperature for my tank?

I run mine at the upper range of 81-82 since forever, which is I imagine not as common. My corals (softies) have always seemed to thrive under these conditions. Of course this leaves considerably less room for error. I did get up to 84 once or twice in summer over the years, ended up just running a fan over surface for a day or so, and things tended to come back into line although little to no stress witnessed on the inhabitants. Not sure if my higher temps assisted in the corals thermal tolerance with the brief spike or not? In my experience consistency seems to be the best thing. I've thought about lowering and or fluctuating a bit during seasons but have always elected to just keep it stable. If it ain't broke then don't fix it is my thought pattern...
 
I have no clue where or when 78-79 thing came from, It may be industry standard,it may be optimal, it may be safe but I have never seen any scientific abstract saying your tank must be in that range or else....

I got a tank that NEVER gets over 73F, its a unheated seahorse tank...its 150g so it doesn’t fluctuate fast. Corals look colorful, healthy and growing
Would a fish only tank be fine at 74 F?
 
I don't have enough info to comment much on that, personally I wouldnt *feel* right that low as I always ran tanks much warmer, however if everything is looking good I think your okay?
 
Would a fish only tank be fine at 74 F?
More info than asked for but in case someone does a search here is my experience with low temps.

In general if 78F is the baseline and we use a “over/under” of 10F: always take the “under”. Fish can survive being cold for waaaaay longer than being too hot.

Anything over 70F isn't just survivable, its perfectly fine.
Sure stability is “key” but slightly overrated with temps.

IME for fish only 69F - 84F is fine. Yes 69F !!!!
 
More info than asked for but in case someone does a search here is my experience with low temps.

In general if 78F is the baseline and we use a “over/under” of 10F: always take the “under”. Fish can survive being cold for waaaaay longer than being too hot.

Anything over 70F isn't just survivable, its perfectly fine.
Sure stability is “key” but slightly overrated with temps.

IME for fish only 69F - 84F is fine. Yes 69F !!!!
Thanks a lot of the help! So I don't need a heater, but it would be good to get one because of like temperature changes as it is just room temp
 
Thanks a lot of the help! So I don't need a heater, but it would be good to get one because of like temperature changes as it is just room temp
Its risk tolerance. The odds of your house furnace failing vs a stuck heater thermostat…
Many may argue but IME aquarium heaters fail more often than house furnaces.
Corals might not like the fluctuations but 3 or 4 degree swings dont bother fish and anything over 69 wont kill anything on this planet..
Its up to you, I never bothered, not even in my Ohio basement
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new