What is the highest-end lighting available?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Radion the top light available to home aquarists?

I’m speaking about price and perceived quality (PAR/Spectrum).

What lights do you think are better than a radion, if any? I know specific lights might might better for different purposes (wouldn’t want a radion over your 5g pico) so I’m asking in generalities.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no single light, hybrid setups are the best. It was Ati t5s for a long long time but the easy answer is G5 or kessil + lumi lights. Depends on whether you like the look/shimmer of the g5 or kessil better and whether that trumps the fact that the g5 has better spread, way more par, and a much wider spectrum (wasted light in some people's opinion).

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm definitely not a lighting expert...why add reef brite strips to a radion setup? I have radion g5s alone on my 300G and they seem to do pretty well. Thanks

My guess is greater spread and diversity of spectrum but hopefully someone smarter can answer definitively

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefbrite lumilights have better spread than t5s, more intensity, can be mounted lower, and produce a very focused blue spectrum that helps make fluorescent colors pop. They can also be easily mounted near the edges of the tank helping with the fact that the main lights are always center cut.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Radion the top light available to home aquarists?

I’m speaking about price and perceived quality (PAR/Spectrum).

What lights do you think are better than a radion, if any? I know specific lights might might better for different purposes (wouldn’t want a radion over your 5g pico) so I’m asking in generalities.
I like kessil. I'd get the new 500s or ap9x over any other LED

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spectrum is the same. You guys are bickering about the same LEDs used in different lights.

The reef brite strips are used to provide a wider spread akin to T5s , but with the advantages of LEDs. Kessils are the opposite extreme via concentrating all their light in a tiny package which provides lots of shimmer. By combining the coverage of reefbrite strips with kessils for instance you get shimmer and coverage / no shadowing. Best of both worlds.

Has nothing to do with spectrum.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 and Halides are going to grow corals better than anything. Gold Standard.

T5 is the next best option if you don't mind the flat look.

For price and perceived quality I would put LED last. For general appearance of the tank, LEDs will look the best.

Kessil and reef brite xhos would be my choice for all LED. Pop and shimmer!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is greater spread and diversity of spectrum but hopefully someone smarter can answer definitively
ATI non-dimmable Sunpower will grow anything withing 24" tall and will provide amazing coloration and great growth to any coral! Best light for the money if you want the easiest and simpler of all. Just have to change the bulbs once a year. You will not regret!!!!!!
Metal halide/T5 is still the very best we can have!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to highjack the thread from the OP. For T5s, to "program" them like LEDs, I'm assuming you can dim them, right? How about when you want to control particular colors? Do you turn off whites and just run blue for instance? With all the positives listed here regarding T5s, I'm assuming that an honest negative is that you can't control color channels like you can with LEDs, right? Also, T5s aren't great at going over 24inches deep---is that right? Thanks for the info

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to highjack the thread from the OP. For T5s, to "program" them like LEDs, I'm assuming you can dim them, right? How about when you want to control particular colors? Do you turn off whites and just run blue for instance? With all the positives listed here regarding T5s, I'm assuming that an honest negative is that you can't control color channels like you can with LEDs, right? Also, T5s aren't great at going over 24inches deep---is that right? Thanks for the info
The T5 limitations you mention are why so many people run T5/LED hybrid lighting.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For widest, most complete spectrum for coral growth, I think the LUX-Engine LED upgrades for the older Prime HD/26HD/52HD are pretty hard to beat. I'm running 3 of them on my display and everything looks amazing. So much so that I'm getting 2 more to run on my frag tank.

183482840_112340194342120_8938331835205816286_n.jpg

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strips add a wider light source. For the t5s, honestly you probably don't need them but they add some visual pop. I was trying to the original questions wording about "perceived quality"

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back