What is the most invasive coral you regret putting in your tank?

What is the most invasive coral you regret putting in your tank?

• Green Star Polyps

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • Clove Polyps

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Blue Clove Polyps

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Kenya Tree

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Hairy Mushrooms

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Xenia

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • other: please post reply

Votes: 27 19.4%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Poccilopora was mine. Stuff started spreading bad in my last tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread and poll! Featuring this on the home page!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be the Hollywood stunner. It grew so fast was so hard to break off the rocks an the night stinging sweepers were 5-6 inches long stinging an killing almost everything around it. I had to removed it with a hammer . Never again

I've got a pink chalice frag (mycedium maybe?) that just blew a hole in my Hollywood stunner.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree although I don't think I can say I regret it. I do have to pull it out once in a while and it is still everywhere but I like the look of it and it makes things in the tank seem more natural. Plus I was able to trade a few frags of it for a really nice monti that is growing well.

GSP is easy to isolate I think and Xenia is only on two places in the tank and is super easy to thin out.
How do you thin out the xenia???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp is a pain but brown hitchhiking plays drive me up the wall. Even a couple zoas those "utter chaos" look nice when it's a couple heads but it really starts to take over after awhile I had a 75 that ended up bursting and there's easily 50 different people with those zoas because they took over a 30 pound massive rock and killed the other zoas. If I could get the price that they charge online I'd be a rich man haha.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Funny thing is that I have all of these corals listed by the OP.....and love every single one of them.

You see, if you place invasive corals with other invasive corals, the balance is kept. Nature at its best.

I mean these things are so invasive even a glass anemone has problem competing for space.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pic - do you have xenia or anthelia? both are in the same family.

anthelia for me 100% no question. Sympodium second. Yellow stone polyps (parazoanthus) third. I am constantly fighting all 3, but at least stores want my yellow stone polyps and they spread slow enough. A toothbrush pushes them back, but not the other 2...

Mystic sunset montipora is my 4th worst invader...I use it to test new tanks now. Soon I'll be killing it too.

YES! I have some of the creamy colored anthelia polyps and they are BAD! I tried to scrape them off of a rock with a tool and if you leave one little microscopic sized morsel they will come back. I have tried to remove all of them but I still have a bit coming back again. I also have the blue polyps and a giant mass of the gold striped ones which I don't mind as much because they don't seem to overtake the place as quickly. I guess it would be a toss up between them and kenya trees but the kenya tress won for me because the branches drop off and can spread everywhere and anywhere. I have them popping up in my remote refugium somehow. did they go through my pump somehow? what the what? I just can't control them.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is that I have all of these corals listed by the OP.....and love every single one of them.

You see, if you place invasive corals with other invasive corals, the balance is kept. Nature at its best.

I mean these things are so invasive even a glass anemone has problem competing for space.

Yes, I love my tank too! This aquarium was an experiment in a ultra Low maintenance set up. I have been there, done that (15 years ago) with SPS tank where I would come home from work and spent all my free time testing and tweaking and worrying. I decided if I ever set up an aquarium again it would be fish only or super easy corals. This tank turned out to be exactly that. Most everything I put in the tank could be considered "invasive", but with proper placement can be controlled to a degree and the result has worked. I saw someone else listed montipora and I should have put that on the list. my monti is holding back green harry mushrooms and Anthella polyps! I love the look of the tank and I can still go on vacation for two weeks and not worry.

118821942_2689341317948733_5448024082136884594_n.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green striped mushrooms.....I think they were called wagon wheel mushrooms back in the day. They bud and roll everywhere. I find them settling in zoa/paly colonies, they can successfully smother GSP and probably everything else.

They are pretty though. I can't really question if I should have put them in my tank....it was 2000 and my second coral purchase. They survived a total heat wave tank meltdown in 2002.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenia was by far the worst. It would cover rocks in a matter of weeks. It did look cool and had lots of movement. I would trim it back and throw buckets of the stuff in the woods because local stores couldn't sell it fast enough when I traded it in. The tank was only 25g so it was manageable at the time.

I put some in my 190g when I upgraded, it just melted away. Haven't tried it since then.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! I have some of the creamy colored anthelia polyps and they are BAD! I tried to scrape them off of a rock with a tool and if you leave one little microscopic sized morsel they will come back. I have tried to remove all of them but I still have a bit coming back again. I also have the blue polyps and a giant mass of the gold striped ones which I don't mind as much because they don't seem to overtake the place as quickly. I guess it would be a toss up between them and kenya trees but the kenya tress won for me because the branches drop off and can spread everywhere and anywhere. I have them popping up in my remote refugium somehow. did they go through my pump somehow? what the what? I just can't control them.

I'm going to try this mini majano wand on the anthelia, yellow stone polyps, and brown sympodium. Wish me luck!

https://www.marinedepot.com/mini-ma...BFDRGAbeCE7ure0MRJyh5Dwdxzq2LRxoCY0QQAvD_BwE&

Does anyone here have experience with this product? Almost sounds too good to be true. I watched a couple of videos.

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Monti!!! Mine seam to always ONLY encrust taking over my rock work and NEVER plate outwards.... Anyone know a way to kill red monti without introducing monti eating nudis ;)??

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Monti!!! Mine seam to always ONLY encrust taking over my rock work and NEVER plate outwards.... Anyone know a way to kill red monti without introducing monti eating nudis ;)??

It will once it runs out of Real estate, trust me, I know:

29670C00-7AD2-425B-91B0-50F293FA99D3.jpeg

2360C0BA-40FF-4586-A0F2-07906F676163.jpeg

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got rid of our xenia. Also have to weedwhack our purple/green palys every 2-3 months.. They grow way too fast.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back