What is the one reef additive you swear by?

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those using AFR…..my alkalinity has been getting really low but calcium still close to 400, rep said to dose alk to get in line with other parameters but it just keeps going back down.

Those with a-lot of corals do you go through a ton of AFR? I am dosing 30ml a day on a approx. 140-150 gallon system.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, it can get overwhelming at times with the amount of different things you can add to your tank to help with chemical levels or just having a healthier system. I am wondering what is the one additive you live by when it comes to your tank. Curious to know what everyone says!

"Tenacity", This is a chemical/ additives you can not buy anywhere.. it will definitely improve your aquarium life :) :)

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those using AFR…..my alkalinity has been getting really low but calcium still close to 400, rep said to dose alk to get in line with other parameters but it just keeps going back down.

Those with a-lot of corals do you go through a ton of AFR? I am dosing 30ml a day on a approx. 140-150 gallon system.
I have a 40B (+20gal sump) with 95% Acros. I dose 62 mL each day of AFR and 20 mL of BRS alk

6.5 - 7.5 Alk
390 - 400 Cal
1280 - 1290 Mg
3 - 5 NO3
0.03 - PO4
Salinity 1.026

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef has done a pretty good job on my ~0 water change system. My only true complaint is the lack of potassium.
Are your trace elements not depleted with AFR ? Do you run ICP tests ?

I use it as well and every time I do an ICP test I have a bunch of trace elements that need tweaking.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your trace elements not depleted with AFR ? Do you run ICP tests ?

I use it as well and every time I do an ICP test I have a bunch of trace elements that need tweaking.

I actually just had an icp come back (2nd or 3rd time I can't remember). Everything was relatively fine. Iodine was low and so was manganese. Zinc was high.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently use 42ml/ day spread out over 24 doses in my 90g. I do have a lot of corals (acros/SPS dominate) and that dose keeps my Alk at 8.1ish with Calc at 430ish and Mag at 1320ish.

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KZ coral vitalizer. It seems to really help wit PE and color for me. Not sure why, but if it ain't broke....

I also don't now if this counts but hydrogen peroxide is so useful, I dip frags to get rid of algae on the plugs and i even dosed it directly to the display to curb a GHA outbreak I had.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef has done a pretty good job on my ~0 water change system. My only true complaint is the lack of potassium.
Likewise, I dose all for reef, potassium, iodine and acropower for aminos and have been going 0 water changes for the last 6 months. My 180 G tank is packed with life (soft and hard corals, anemones, fish, snails, urchins- you name it). All is growing and my sand is clean without sifting. I use chaeto for nutrient export and perform quarterly icp tests to validate all my parameters. Life is good

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's expected. Just up the dose. if alk rises by 2.8 dKH, calcium will only rise by 20 ppm and is still perfect.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise, I dose all for reef, potassium, iodine and acropower for aminos and have been going 0 water changes for the last 6 months. My 180 G tank is packed with life (soft and hard corals, anemones, fish, snails, urchins- you name it). All is growing and my sand is clean without sifting. I use chaeto for nutrient export and perform quarterly icp tests to validate all my parameters. Life is good

I also dose aminos (and such) in reef energy and vitachem marine. I occasionally put some iron in if my refugium is packed. For my filter I have carbon in a reactor, socks, and macroalgae.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the club soda doing for you?

I used to bring home gallons from the restaurant to clean my coffee cups at home.
Accidentally added a gallon to the sump for top off. About a week later, my rocks were completely clean. Probably coincidence but I kept adding a gallon a week every Wednesday. I'm superstitious.
I've been doing this for 2-3 yyears and haven't pulled out rocks to clean in that time.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the club soda, but like I said, I'm superstitious.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've never advocated the use of club soda to anyone else to try nor do I have an amazing tank full of high dollar anything.
It just works for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For other folks, club soda will vary by manufacturer, but in general will lower pH (from the CO2) and add a small amount of alk and sometimes, potassium and citrate (for a small organic carbon effect).

I would not count on a cleaning effect once it is in tank water with a high pH and high dilution.

Last edited:

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That dose seems about right. In my mixed reef my alkalinity consumption has risen relative to calcium and magnesium so I dose the original Balling Part B to keep it in line.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dose seems about right. In my mixed reef my alkalinity consumption has risen relative to calcium and magnesium so I dose the original Balling Part B to keep it in line.

I also have sky high calcium because I dose according to alk with all for reef.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back