What is there to love about Live Rock

Saltyhawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef 2 Reefers!

I’m still new to salt water tanks, here’s the deal, I live in Hawaii, so live corals are illegal. From what I understand I can only have live rock.

I am still trying to find things to love about live rock. I do love building cool structures for my fish but am also wondering what I can pair with them to make them more interesting. Also how can I tell that my live rock is healthy and giving the beat nutrients for my fish?

Any suggestions are extremely appreciated!
Aloha!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True reef live rock will come with a whole host of alga, sponges, crustaceans, worms, bryozoans, tunicates, etc. If you don't have grazing fish, the rock can grow lush macro algae which can be quite attractive. You may also get zoanthid, mushroom and soft coral hitchhikers, too.

For various types of specific organisms, I'd suggest that you check with your state authorities to determine what is legal to collect/keep...and go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saltyhawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True reef live rock will come with a whole host of alga, sponges, crustaceans, worms, bryozoans, tunicates, etc. If you don't have grazing fish, the rock can grow lush macro algae which can be quite attractive. You may also get zoanthid, mushroom and soft coral hitchhikers, too.

For various types of specific organisms, I'd suggest that you check with your state authorities to determine what is legal to collect/keep...and go from there.
okay! I got the Caribsea life rock from Petco… so I don’t think I really got all those goodies you mentioned.

From what I checked before it is also illegal to collect species from the wild and keep them in tanks. I will double check though, Thank you!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay! I got the Caribsea life rock from Petco… so I don’t think I really got all those goodies you mentioned.

From what I checked before it is also illegal to collect species from the wild and keep them in tanks. I will double check though, Thank you!

You can possibly get some 'goodies' from your IPSF (looks like they are in Kailua-Kona) as long as there are no restrictions for locals purchasing from them:

https://ipsf.com/

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caribsea Life Rock is not live rock; it’s dry, mined rock that has been painted to resemble coralline coverage and has no life on it (except for airborne bacteria, I guess). The only seller of live rock I know in Hawaii is Coral Fish Hawaii in Oahu which offers aquacultured live rock from Molokai (like Floridian rock). Having dry rock allows you to experiment more with possible aquascapes outside the tank without worrying about anything drying out though.
Do you have any other local fish stores near you that could offer fish and invertebrates (including corals)? As for collecting native species, I think it’s still possible to collect some wild marine life (like macroalgae), but always check state laws before doing so:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404960-yoshiis-old-school-25g-hawaiian-pico-/

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important distinctions:
1. Live rock is wet rock with bacteria already colonized. It does not necessarily have any other benefits, and has a low potential for hitch hikers. It sometimes comes from old tanks that get broken down.
2. "Life" rock may also be "Live" rock, but it is really just rocks painted purple to simulate coralline algae. It has a low potential for hitchhikers.
3. Ocean live rock is "live", and comes chocked full of hitchhikers both good and bad and also macros, sponges, limpets, crabs, worms, tunicates etc. On the mainland we have a few sources of mariculture ocean live rock. It is pricey, but in my opinion well worth it for the biodiversity it comes with.

Local regulations will most certainly dictate your path. Have fun!

OP
OP
S

Saltyhawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can possibly get some 'goodies' from your IPSF (looks like they are in Kailua-Kona) as long as there are no restrictions for locals purchasing from them:

https://ipsf.com/
Awesome! Thank you so much for that link I will be checking them out ASAP annnd thanks for understanding what I was abbreviating to ‘goodies’ clearly I’m new

OP
OP
S

Saltyhawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea Life Rock is not live rock; it’s dry, mined rock that has been painted to resemble coralline coverage and has no life on it (except for airborne bacteria, I guess). The only seller of live rock I know in Hawaii is Coral Fish Hawaii in Oahu which offers aquacultured live rock from Molokai (like Floridian rock). Having dry rock allows you to experiment more with possible aquascapes outside the tank without worrying about anything drying out though.
Do you have any other local fish stores near you that could offer fish and invertebrates (including corals)? As for collecting native species, I think it’s still possible to collect some wild marine life (like macroalgae), but always check state laws before doing so:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404960-yoshiis-old-school-25g-hawaiian-pico-/
Thank you for clarifying and the advice! I have been in touch with Coral Fish Hawaii, however they are on Oahu and I am on the Big island. I am definitely planning a trip over there.

As far as I know there is only a LFS In hilo but I have heard they are freshwater only.

OP
OP
S

Saltyhawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for linking that Nano reef tank forum topic! This gives me SO much inspiration. I hadn’t really seen many salt tanks that have the same limitations that I do.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you so much for that link I will be checking them out ASAP annnd thanks for understanding what I was abbreviating to ‘goodies’ clearly I’m new
'Goodies' is all good :)

Later on you can get all sciency if you like and call them 'Macro organisms' ;)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
living in Hawaii you can get a permit from the department of D&L to collect fish and inverts or at least you used to. I woul dlook into it and see what you can collect. you also have the benefit of using NSW natural sea water right from the ocean. just gotta be smart where you collect it. I had great results using it.
depending on the rules you might be able to seed you dry rock with bits of Live rock that washed up on the beach, it will have bac. coralline macros and worms etc. but migh have "pets" to. but again you will have to cheak the rules.
IMHO the more natural bac. one can get in there tanks the better.
that pretty much is one point of real LR.

good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back