What is this algae?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrcoffee2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Feed as much as your fish will eat in 2 - 3 minutes, making sure everything gets eaten. Like you are doing - spot feeding. It is a standard reply in the hobby, "You need to feed less." That's another "bad advise" I'd like the hobby to address. Every time I read one of those posts I think, poor fish are being starved to death.

My tanks get fed two times, sometimes three times, a day.

I should also address your issue of excess algae. You do need to address your nutrient export problem as evidenced by the quick growth on algae on your glass. Stepped water changes, dosing with vinegar or vodka, kalkwasser, bio pellets, stepped up skimming, or GFO to lower your phosphates.

I think you hit a great point when you said just feed as much as the fish can eat in 2-3 minutes. I know I have been guilty of tossing a cube of frozen food in the tank and calling it a day. Much of this goes uneaten and leads to waste and nutrient issues. Feeding smaller targeted meals leads to the fish eating more in a feeding and less waste.
 
When was the last time you changed out your lighting? And I see the bloom is in the corners of your tank, might be from lack of flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new