What is this? And how do I kill it?

chaostactics

View Badges
Reaction score
It reminds me a lot of bryopsis but it's not even remotely green/blue. It feathers out at the ends and is brown/tan. It also grows as individual strands relatively far apart not going in clumps like BHA or GHA. It's also very easy to remove with a tooth brush unlike HA.

Its also not dead bryopsis as it grows back (in different spots) after being brushed from rock and scraped from glass.

PS I'm waiting for a new test kit in the mail so I'm not 100% sure what my parameters are but I hand feed pellets carefully, I'm under-stocked, and my nutrient export is pretty good.

PPS. I am considering doing a 3 day blackout and heavy water change. I'm 95% sure its photosynthetic as its not present in my sump at all, which is unlit. I just added some new corals so I want to give them a week to settle before stressing them with a blackout.
PS
Screenshot_20200103-160208.png

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

ScottR

Surfing in madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Hard to tell but reminds me of caulerpa when it starts to shoot off new leaves. They have that white feathery appearance. Do they stay like that for more than 2 or 3 days?

OP
C

chaostactics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hard to tell but reminds me of caulerpa when it starts to shoot off new leaves. They have that white feathery appearance. Do they stay like that for more than 2 or 3 days?
There are no runners making me think its not caleurpa.

unless I scrub it off with a toothbrush the stuff remains largely unchanged for days at a time.I'm doing weekly water changes to create some additional nutrient export/overturn so I run a toothbrush across all the rockwork before sand vacuuming. I guess I could experimentally leave some in place next time and see if it progresses.

OP
C

chaostactics

View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone? It seems to be photosynthetic because a 72 hour blackout followed by a 15% water change killed off a lot of it but not all of it. It's starting to creep back.

ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH THE EQUIPMENT YOU HAVE RUNNING ON YOUR REEF TANK NOW?

• Yes I'm satisfied

Votes: 171 44.3%
  • Somewhat satisfied but I want to add more in the future

Votes: 181 46.9%
  • No not satisfied

Votes: 34 8.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aqua SD
Bulk Reef Supply