What is this coral

  • Thread starter Thread starter John08007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

John08007

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
948
Reaction score
635
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up today because it has some different colors in it. What is it? My guess is an encrusting montipora. It is green with orange dots.

Screenshot_20201204-173516_Gallery.jpg
 
I picked this up today because it has some different colors in it. What is it? My guess is an encrusting montipora.
Do you have a picture? Tough to guess without seeing it LOL.
 
Do you have a picture? Tough to guess without seeing it LOL.
Sorry, I hit the wrong button when I went to attach it, edited it while you replied.
 
Does it look almost hairy close up?
Looks sorta fuzzy, like .5mm or less above the surface. Can't see any hairs but its a little blurry so probably like a peach fuzz
 
Need a clearer picture to ID it. Definitely not a Monti though.
 
Doesnt necessarily have distinguishable tentacles. Mine look fuzzy.

20201204_171242.jpg
20201204_171250.jpg
 
Doesnt necessarily have distinguishable tentacles. Mine look fuzzy.

20201204_171242.jpg
20201204_171250.jpg
So, it pretty much wraps itself around the rock like an encrusting monti? Where do you have it in your tank? Like light, flow?
 
I think they are pretty adaptable. Mine are in higher flow, medium light. Yes, they will encrust as you can see in the bottom pic (JF Outerspace Psammo).

They don't do well next to BTA's though!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new