What is this coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TARHEEL78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
1,547
Reaction score
1,497
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering if anyone can correctly identify what type of coral this is? Pics under blues and whites included.
20230415_134109.jpg

20230415_134121.jpg
 
Merulinidae sp, either Platygyra or Paragoniastrea australensis
 
Definitely looks like a platygyra, but I’m curious as to what you think it is.
 
I'd typically go with encrustingacro's ID's but I have no idea myself. I really like the shape/contour of whatever it is. The walls seem way more robust and almost uniform than a dipsastrea (formerly known as favia) but the mouth area seems wider and rounder to me than a typical platygyra.
 
I'm going to leave this here. Most of us hobbyist don't know jack on ID. Very few do know the correct taxidermy.
Than says it best in 5 minutes.
 
Just wondering if anyone can correctly identify what type of coral this is? Pics under blues and whites included.
20230415_134109.jpg

20230415_134121.jpg
So… what did you buy it as?

As said above, there’s many corals out there, we really don’t know anything when it comes to IDs other than being able to remove the corals unavailable to the hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 14.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new