What is this crawling on my acro

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor only kills Arthropods, crabs, shrimp, mites....spiders. So yes Interceptor will work and your other inverts such as anemones, snails, clams...will be fine.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encountered these spiders and found little information on treatment presumably because few folks that had observation/QT tanks noticed them. They come out at night and harbor under plugs, etc. I suspect they feed on dying tissue and otherwise irritate healthy acro.

I found that successive Bayer dips with 2-3 weeks in between dips seems to have eradicated them. This helps assure elimination of live spiders and gestation of eggs.

A 3w laser can help too

Here is a quick video of this spider feeding in dead/dying acro frag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfCkssQG36o

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly try to put a couple squirrel fish in there. They are mostly noc fish and get crazy at night. They love eating anything like that. Nudi, crustations ect. They are beast fish. Actually pretty cool, I come out at night sometimes to watch them because they look like hyperactive sharks at night. I wouldn't doubt they would not let those things live for anything. Also if u can find intercepter that will kill them also i'm pretty sure. GL.

arashsheikhpoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly try to put a couple squirrel fish in there. They are mostly noc fish and get crazy at night. They love eating anything like that. Nudi, crustations ect. They are beast fish. Actually pretty cool, I come out at night sometimes to watch them because they look like hyperactive sharks at night. I wouldn't doubt they would not let those things live for anything. Also if u can find intercepter that will kill them also i'm pretty sure. GL.
Are squirrel fish reef safe?

flamehawk1613

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I am no expert here however the animal in your picture and the one in melvs post are totally different. yours has 7 legs and melvs pic has 6 . the body seems to be more like a round disc ,somewhat like a brittle star. Just to let you know I to have these guys in my tank and just like you my first thought was they must be eating my acros after all they are crawling all over them. I even had sps with what looked like bite marks and every morning I found those guys crawling on the sps. then I stayed up one night got out my flashlight and did some looking around . I found bugs and I believe the 7 legged crawlers were eating the bugs not the sps. I could be wrong but for now I am not rushing to nuke my tank.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that now you have a 7 Leg friend.

Not sure if the video I linked above is viewable for all but you can clearly see these are spiders not a brittle star. Many mistake what you might describe as a spider to be Brit star so hopefully the video serves as evidence to compare

Anyway, gacolt I hope in your case you don't have spiders and if you do that you are able to qt and erradicate them.

In my research I could not find much info on spiders so I hope the video shows well enough what to look for.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try natural methods first. Example: acropora crabs, banded coral shrimps etc... Plus there are all types of critters in an established reef tank good and bad. Just because you see these things does not mean it is bad.

Gma6504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever eliminate the acro spiders from your system?

I am currently dipping(bayer) all acros and montipora in my system weekly which seems to have been effective in elimating the majority. I inspect everything in the early morning and find an adult about twice a week and manually remove with tweezers. I have repeated this process for the past 4 weeks. I plan on dipping weekly until I don't see signs of flesh loss.

VanT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you successful at eradicating the spiders using interceptor and if not what did you try that worked?

VanT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you successful using interceptor to treat your tank for the sea spiders? Can you elaborate on your experience please?

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick note on my experiences... Successive dips with Bayer work. Those are definitely sea spiders, not starfish. And their legs fall off crazy easily.

Back