What is this frightening critter?

yourmom

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2020
Messages
233
Reaction score
193
Location
Katy, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0B86CD9B-BAE9-4FE1-ACEB-4EECB5F6A273.jpeg
145738A1-1C61-4F90-B380-4104EDEB4AD3.jpeg
 
****. Just googled it and it said good so I let it loose.
I've read that bristle worms, though frightening in appearance, are usually considered good in reef tanks. They can get large (12" or longer), though most are usually much smaller.
...now if it was a Bobbitt worm, I would not be interested. They can grow to be several feet long and ambush fish.
 
I've read that bristle worms, though frightening in appearance, are usually considered good in reef tanks. They can get large (12" or longer), though most are usually much smaller.
...now if it was a Bobbitt worm, I would not be interested. They can grow to be several feet long and ambush fish.
I’m literally sick to my stomach. I hope I didn’t just *** up my tank.
 
Nope- Dorvillidae worm which is a cousin to the Bristleworm and has a sticky body allowing it to climb glass. It almost exclusively eats algae. Considered reef safe and a member of classification of clean up crew
 
Nope- Dorvillidae worm which is a cousin to the Bristleworm and has a sticky body allowing it to climb glass. It almost exclusively eats algae. Considered reef safe and a member of classification of clean up crew
I REALLY hope you are right!!
 
I REALLY hope you are right!!
After viewing my messages now on a desktop than phone- all others correct on bristleworm, also harmless although theyre not welcomed in my tanks. I agree they can be ugly little creatures. I’m pretty sure we’re genetically programmed to be creeped out by millipede-looking creatures but also know that they dig through the muck, gunk, and detritus in our tanks and eat the stuff that is rotting away and spoiling the water quality. Their preferred food is food waste, biological waste, even the rotting carcass of that missing fish you haven’t seen for a few days.
 
Last edited:
After viewing my messages now on a desktop than phone- all others correct on bristleworm, also harmless although theyre not welcomed in my tanks. I agree they can be ugly little creatures. I’m pretty sure we’re genetically programmed to be creeped out by millipede-looking creatures but also know that they dig through the muck, gunk, and detritus in our tanks and eat the stuff that is rotting away and spoiling the water quality. Their preferred food is food waste, biological waste, even the rotting carcass of that missing fish you haven’t seen for a few days.
Thank you, I was planning to throw him out but I dropped him in before sufficiently researching. Should have listened to my intuition and set the scary thing on fire!
 
I was terrified the first time i saw one, it was shortly after my first tank that i started with live rock. That tank was a tiny 6 gallon nano and when that worm came out and started searching the rockwork...and kept coming out...and coming out more i lost my mind. My wife thought i was having a heart attack lol. I've come to not mind them although if i can go without i will, no need to stress, they are ultimately beneficial, just a bit scary looking.
 
Depending on the size of your tank, there are several wrasses that will eat them and keep the population down in your tank. The sump is another matter.
 
Nope- Dorvillidae worm which is a cousin to the Bristleworm and has a sticky body allowing it to climb glass. It almost exclusively eats algae. Considered reef safe and a member of classification of clean up crew
So a bristleworm can't climb glass at all? I assumed the little worm I saw yesterday was a bristle but it was halfway up the side...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new