What is this little critter.. Help

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A starfish mowed over it about about a week ago it didn't look very well. I then hydrogen peroxide dipped it yesterday only because it had some green algae growing all over it, as I wanted to still keep it. A very small portion of it looked ok. This morning I look at picture of this frag. Looky, looky two little antennas peeking out of the frag. What is it and can it infect the rest of my corals..? It's extremely hard to get good pictures of it. Please I need some help on this one.

20221009_100952.jpg 20221009_100955.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Coral Boring Spionid Worm to me:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A starfish mowed over it about about a week ago it didn't look very well. I then hydrogen peroxide dipped it yesterday only because it had some green algae growing all over it, as I wanted to still keep it. A very small portion of it looked ok. This morning I look at picture of this frag. Looky, looky two little antennas peeking out of the frag. What is it and can it infect the rest of my corals..? It's extremely hard to get good pictures of it. Please I need some help on this one.

20221009_100952.jpg 20221009_100955.jpg
Are the antennas coming from a little tube?

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Dan. I am not sure.. Better picture of it very soon

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better picture of it.. Are they invasive like in coral killers..?

Attachments

• 20221009_104521.jpg
    20221009_104521.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better picture of it.. Are they invasive like in coral killers..?
They can be invasive - they don’t kill the coral in our tanks, they just bore holes through the skeleton and weaken the structure. So, they kill ocean corals, but they’re just ugly in our tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They use those mucus strings in search of food. Thet can quickly multiply in which I remove any if I see them in my tanks
Spinoids often confused with spirobids due to similar spelling

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New picture of this ..

Attachments

• 20221009_104521.jpg
    20221009_104521.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be invasive - they don’t kill the coral in our tanks, they just bore holes through the skeleton and weaken the structure. So, they kill ocean corals, but they’re just ugly in our tanks.
It doesn't seam to have a tube, and straight hydrogen peroxide for 3 mins did not kill it yesterday.. wow

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seam to have a tube, and straight hydrogen peroxide for 3 mins did not kill it yesterday.. wow
Yeah, and you have to get the entire worm out because they can regrow when they lose part of their body (even when they lose significant portions of it).

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed the frag all together. I don't see any others at all anywhere else, yet that is, praying here. I wont name the suppler but I am very ticked off. Doe's anyone think I should contact them? What would any of you do... ? Just a question..

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use those mucus strings in search of food. Thet can quickly multiply in which I remove any if I see them in my tanks
Spinoids often confused with spirobids due to similar spelling
The “palps” are part of the worm and I don’t think they use mucus to capture food like vermetid snails, though you did mention elsewhere that they use mucus to form their tubes:
6 line and lunare wrasse should eat them. Coral banded shrimp also known to eat them. Best recourse is to assure no food reaches then and they'll starve. These worms live in tubes that they construct from mucous and sand. They have two white-clear palps that stick out from the top of the structure, these are used to grab small and large food particles which is what you would glue should you go the glue method, by applying gel super glue over their tubes and they will starve to death

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed the frag all together. I don't see any others at all anywhere else, yet that is, praying here. I wont name the suppler but I am very ticked off. Doe's anyone think I should contact them? What would any of you do... ? Just a question..
Nope. They are extremely common and you will likely end up with them regardless of what you do or who you buy coral from.
They aren't all bad... They are filter feeders and can help remove detritus from your rocks and sandbed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The “palps” are part of the worm and I don’t think they use mucus to capture food like vermetid snails, though you did mention elsewhere that they use mucus to form their tubes:
Spinoids commonly use their two grooved palps to locate prey, but also are capable of interface feeding,(switching between deposit and suspension feeding)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. They are extremely common and you will likely end up with them regardless of what you do or who you buy coral from.
They aren't all bad... They are filter feeders and can help remove detritus from your rocks and sandbed.
Yeah, most of the time the boring spionids in our tanks just bore through the rocks (which is part of why ocean live rock is so riddled with holes and so beneficial for bacterial growth) and filter feed, so they’re usually harmless/beneficial in our tanks. When they’re boring through corals it can be pretty unsightly, but it’s still mostly harmless.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys... I seam to forget that there is always an issue, challenge, surprise, or problem that arises in this hobby that we have never seen, or been exposed to. Thank you for your help. LOL.. 30 years of salt and I am just getting started...lol. Thank you

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back