what is this mushy thing?

reef tank 2.0

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2021
Messages
760
Reaction score
323
Location
Cincinnati
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over the past month, I've noticed a tanish mushy blob on the walls of my stock tank. while looking around the tank tonight, I looked at the overflow, and noticed that the blobs are there too. although I didn't touch these things with my hands, I scraped one off in the sump, and noticed it was definitely soft. I don't recall ever seeing one of these before.
in the sump, these things are on the walls, as well as everything in the sump. they are roughly 1/4"-1/2" in diameter. they don't move all all. almost like algae of some sort. but these are in areas of the tank that get no light

here's a picture of the back side



 
I didn't have any of these that I noticed in my last tank. Hoping for some with my next!
 
If they are not "common", where did they come from? They are only in the sump, and well, in the overflow. All dark places. My sump looks like it has polkadots everywhere
 
If they are not "common", where did they come from? They are only in the sump, and well, in the overflow. All dark places. My sump looks like it has polkadots everywhere
Likely rode in on a coral or a piece of live rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new