What is this red snail thing?!?!

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I saw this thing climbing on the glass ive seen it move around the sand too. Hasn't bothered anything if anyone knows what it may be. Its bright red.
tempImageUnFUkV.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics would be good, but yeah, assuming you got it from Florida, it's either a Horse Conch (not a friendly conch) or a Peristernia species - the red foot is highly distinctive.
The snail is likely a young horse conch - these are actually massive, predatory snails (they're really cool, but they will eat your other snails, clams, etc. - basically any gastropods would be in danger). The red foot is an incredibly distinctive feature, and the only other snails I know of from Florida with red feet (Peristernia spp.) are also predatory (though these guys are much smaller than horse conchs). So, even if the snails are not horse conchs (which they most likely are), you still probably wouldn't want them in your tank. They could make a really interesting addition to a sump or a predatory snail tank dedicated to keeping them though.

Edit: I meant to say mollusks, not gastropods (though gastropods are a kind of mollusk).

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert but after a quick google search for "red footed marine snail" on that has a similar shape to the shell is a Horse Conch. If so, not sure if friend or foe, but it'll DEFINITELY outgrow your tank if it is lol.
1712705279985.png
This could 100% be what I have but a little baby one.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back