What is this? Shell?

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
11
Location
Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning the tank today, and noticed this. Never seen this before, tried reverse imaging and nothing popped up. I have turbo snails, is this it’s Skelton ? I only have 3, and I am looking at all three. Not sure what’s going on.

IMG_1901.jpeg IMG_1900.jpeg
 
Cleaning the tank today, and noticed this. Never seen this before, tried reverse imaging and nothing popped up. I have turbo snails, is this it’s Skelton ? I only have 3, and I am looking at all three. Not sure what’s going on.

IMG_1901.jpeg IMG_1900.jpeg
Looks to be a sundial and undesired
 
It is not a sundial, it is an operculum. As mentioned by @Spare time it's the "cap" or "door" of the snail's shell. The snail is dead, that's the only part that won't typically be eaten.
 
Is it dead? It’s completely rock solid. That explains why my zoas have suddenly parished…
Could also be the cap of trap door of a snail shell. as for zoas, too much light or water flow, sudden change of parameters and even use of vodka or carbon dosing especially if adding NoPox that reduces nitrate quickly. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new