What is this stuck on my Derasa Clam?

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I've been attempting to do my best at caring for this Derasa clam I have.

It seems fine other than the fact that I have this ... THING... stuck to it.

When I first saw it I figured it was snail poop or something.
But as I'm cleaning my tank, I noticed it got bigger ... I tried to take this thing off, but its as hard as a rock and REALLY stuck on there. I'm too worried that I'll break the clam's shell if I keep trying.

Any idea what the heck this thing is..?
Any tips on how to take it off my clam?

Thanks!

20230324_153335.jpg 20230324_154447.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or given how close it is to clam opening ( no disrespect to others) could you not pull clam out / make it close then remove/scrape it off (vermited snails have tough shells)
it appears from your pictures it's on the outside of clam shell, I wouldn't risk glue being so close to clams opening

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or given how close it is to clam opening ( no disrespect to others) could you not pull clam out / make it close then remove/scrape it off (vermited snails have tough shells)
it appears from your pictures it's on the outside of clam shell, I wouldn't risk glue being so close to clams opening
My concern was that they might accidentally chip off the thin edge of the clam shell, being so close to the edge. There are risks either way, but both are viable solutions. :)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree, but honestly I'm no expert but I would rather chip away a tooth rather than loosing all my teeth later.
if it multiplys gets inside clam shell your clam is doomed for. either way, anything you do to try to remove vermited always best outside of aquriam, and always discard water after

OP
OP
Kuhn

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up carefully chipping the snail off. It caused a small chip on my clam but I'd rather it be gone and not be a risk to my clam's health. Shortly after that, I had some bumble bee snails come by and eat what was left of the snail off the clam ☺ I love this hobby! So fascinating

Thanks for the tips!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back