What is this white algae

Winnster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what this white algae is on my rocks it started a week ago pretty sure it started when my auto feeder dropped a bunch of food in my tank while I was away for the week how do I get rid of it

0FC5E0BA-53C4-40C4-B4FA-45DC1303B8A1.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some white light pics? Blues ruin all hope of ID in a reef tank.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank it’s a normal thing. Mine went from diatoms to a thin coating of neon green then coralline started but I also got some white patches on the rocks where the green was and then that turned to coralline too.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank it’s a normal thing. Mine went from diatoms to a thin coating of neon green then coralline started but I also got some white patches on the rocks where the green was and then that turned to coralline too.
+1 new rock will change all sorts of colors.

OP
OP
W

Winnster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly but it looks like a snail or that urchin cleaned the rock really well and its just showing white clean rock.
Nah it’s a different color than the rock it’s almost white looks like sand but it’s growing under my scoly and over some coralline algae spots but none of this is on the other side of the tank

OP
OP
W

Winnster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that this might be a sponge and not algae how do I get rid of sponges? And how do they form?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this appears to be Chrysophytes which is a unicellular algae. These algae like substances occur in both marine and fresh water, mainly marine. The cell walls of this algae and diatoms are made of cellulose and pectic materials, a type of hemicellulose. In the diatoms especially, the cell wall is heavily impregnated with silica and is therefore quite rigid and resistant to decay in which you experience. The photosynthetic pigments of these algae are chlorophylls a and c, and the accessory pigments are carotenoids and xanthophylls, including a specialized pigment known as fucoxanthin which gives it that coraline appearance.
You might also check soluble silicates as well as Phos/nitrate. Some Chrysophytes use silica to form these type of structures.
Pin cushion urchin as well as chitons may help with this. Many have used Vibrant successfully for removal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve read that this might be a sponge and not algae how do I get rid of sponges? And how do they form?
Exposure to air will always take a sponge down. You can scrape sponge off but do that outside of tank as toxins may be presents with sponge. finish by brushing with Peroxide, then return to tank.
With air, you can also inject air or vinegar which will take sponge down.

OP
OP
W

Winnster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this appears to be Chrysophytes which is a unicellular algae. These algae like substances occur in both marine and fresh water, mainly marine. The cell walls of this algae and diatoms are made of cellulose and pectic materials, a type of hemicellulose. In the diatoms especially, the cell wall is heavily impregnated with silica and is therefore quite rigid and resistant to decay in which you experience. The photosynthetic pigments of these algae are chlorophylls a and c, and the accessory pigments are carotenoids and xanthophylls, including a specialized pigment known as fucoxanthin which gives it that coraline appearance.
You might also check soluble silicates as well as Phos/nitrate. Some Chrysophytes use silica to form these type of structures.
Pin cushion urchin as well as chitons may help with this. Many have used Vibrant successfully for removal
i've been using PhosGuard it claims it removes silicate and replacing it every four days but its still been spreading

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been using PhosGuard it claims it removes silicate and replacing it every four days but its still been spreading
There is no magic cure for the ugly phase. It's normal and happens to everyone. Keep parameters in order and stable. Bolster CuC if needed. Remove excess by hand during water changes.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never listed your parameters. Is phosphate high?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back