What is this worm in my hammer?

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammers and torches are slowly disappearing. I bought Seachem Reef dip per recommendation of my LFS. Removed this once enormous, flourishing hammer and dipped at 10ml per ~ 5 litres (just over a gallon) of tank water for 30 minutes per instructions. It had no odour from brown jelly and no small flatworms fell off. I rinsed and returned to the DT. It slimed some then extended this morning but retracted when I fed the fish. Then I saw this long, flat worm come out from between the polyps. I could swear I saw one like it a few months ago when it went straight into a bivalve that was on some LR. That bivalve died. Its innards were dessimated - eaten up except for the tendons that open and close the shell. My other green hammer is also melting away, as are all my torch. These were enormous 6 months ago. Are these long (I'm talking many inches here) flat worms to blame?
Note that all my Zoas and Palythoas are perfectly healthy and reproducing. My Morphs also fine.
Here's a photo of this horrid thing. Sorry I forgot to circle the last photo of the worm. It's quite long (maybe 3") and flat.

20190826_170656.jpg 20190826_170627.jpg 20190826_170016.jpg

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like tentacle bailout. Some tentacles will get long and stringy and then fall off and eventually the whole thing dies. Can try dipping it. Probably a bacterial infection.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it's not a worm. Safe to dip again in less than 24 hours?
It definitely looks like a tentacle. It sways when it moves right? As if the “worm” is attached but free-floating. You can dip again. I recommend an iodine dip. If you’re willing to try, let me know and I’ll let you know my method. I saved a torch from this exact same thing after a mass euphyllia die-off. I learned that a new euphyllia had infected the others. I’d recommend increasing flow as well. I don’t know your case, but I know a lot of people put them in low flow areas or in the sand. If they don’t get enough movement, bacteria, sand and detritus can accumulate. The flow helps to clean the inside.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what kind of clean up crew do you have? Just to rule out perhaps something nipping away at it. This is another possibility.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is not a tentacle. This is a hammer that was huge. This flat worm comes out then goes back into another hole! It's feeding on left overs. Only comes out at feed time. Weird
The thing is not a tentacle. This is a hammer that was huge. This flat worm comes out then goes back into another hole! It's feeding on left overs. Only comes out at feed time. Weird
I’m not ruling out a worm, but it doesn’t look like a flat worm to me at all. It’s too long and thin.

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks like a tentacle. It sways when it moves right? As if the “worm” is attached but free-floating. You can dip again. I recommend an iodine dip. If you’re willing to try, let me know and I’ll let you know my method. I saved a torch from this exact same thing after a mass euphyllia die-off. I learned that a new euphyllia had infected the others. I’d recommend increasing flow as well. I don’t know your case, but I know a lot of people put them in low flow areas or in the sand. If they don’t get enough movement, bacteria, sand and detritus can accumulate. The flow helps to clean the inside.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what kind of clean up crew do you have? Just to rule out perhaps something nipping away at it. This is another possibility.
4 hermits, 4 turbos. It's a 1500litre system. I know that there's a pistol shrimp somewhere that hitched a ride. I can't seem to get him. Got rid of 3 rock crabs with baited jar. Going to keep trying to get the pistol.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I tried to delete that. It is a tentacle for sure. My mistake. Increasing flow, dipping and nurturing.
My mistake too. I said tentacle bail out but should’ve said polyp bail out. I’ve had this in my tank and that’s what happened to mine. The tentacles deflate, elongate and then sway outwards before detaching.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I tried to delete that. It is a tentacle for sure. My mistake. Increasing flow, dipping and nurturing.
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I wouldn’t feed it for awhile. Giving it proper lighting should be sufficient. Let it heal. They can be saved. And also, all dips are extremely different and work for different pests, infections, etc. Choose wisely. ;)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back