What is this?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely not sand stuck to him. It appears that the spots showed up and started disappearing all within 24 hours? Coupled with the "dirty appearance" could be the start of velvet. The mandy is cute but represents a problem when it comes to treating.... even if it's just ick we are seeing here, the mandy can't be treated in copper. TTM works for ick but not velvet and you can't just leave him in the tank at that point because he will just keep the parasite's life cycle going even if he doesn't die from it, so you see the problem there right? It just doesn't look like brook to me. :(

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had a 10 gal qt set up, I have several other 10 gals in various stages of set up for pods and brine. I have a new tank (93 gal cube) which will be delivered in a few days and so I will have a brand new tank which they will go into. I can set up other, non copper, qt tanks. Will my diamond goby be affected by copper?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had a 10 gal qt set up, I have several other 10 gals in various stages of set up for pods and brine. I have a new tank (93 gal cube) which will be delivered in a few days and so I will have a brand new tank which they will go into. I can set up other, non copper, qt tanks. Will my diamond goby be affected by copper?

I've done well with diamond gobies in Chelated copper products like Coppersafe. I wouldn't put the fish into the new tank without treating them first. You dont want to treat them in the new display as you run the risk of having copper in there when you start trying to add inverts. If you have the extra tanks available and the time for it then you can run TTM. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/
If that's not your cup of tea then you can run copper in just one tank. If your not transferring any of the rock, sand, corals or anything at all really (anything that can be cleaned like skimmers are ok for example) from the old tank into the new one then once the tanks cycles and the treatment and observation period is done, then you could potentially start adding the fish to that tank -slowly.

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting with the clown which I've been taking all the pics. He has had the freshwater bath and now the formalin bath. I'm using the Kordon ich cure stuff. Thank you Humblefish for your write up on the information and treatment of these various diseases. Also, thank you for being so quick to help a worried fishy momma.

None of my fish have changed behavior yet. I'm hoping I caught it early. This reinforces my idea to start over with new rock in the new tank.

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's what I ended up getting after driving all over town. Three LFS and a Petco had didn't have exactly what was on the list and that was the closest. I'll have to order off of amazon. At the very least, my clown has had some relief and is in cuprimine. He appears to be doing fine in the qt. I'll continue with the other fish and do the formalin dip when it comes in. Is there any disadvantage to doing that dip after they've already been in qt?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any disadvantage to doing that dip after they've already been in qt?

I personally reserve formalin dips for emergency situations. It is a known carcinogen; not really good for the fish or for you to be exposed to (hands, breathing).

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm home and the fish look a little better. The 2 clowns who are not hosted by a nem (they previously had spots too but were too active to photograph) have almost not spots left. The clown in the nem (He's not so active so I can get the most pics of him) still has spots but they have changed again. Sorry for the bad images. My water has a lot of floating particles right now.

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG
It's looks like an air bubble on the mandarin try scaring it so the bubbles fall off

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back