What is this?

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns have been in my pico tank for the better part of 8 months. Paired from the LFS, they’ve been thick as thieves until recently. They keep nipping at each other’s mouths and both of their lips are now white from their “fighting”. Just now I noticed a white spot under one of their fins, no other marks on either of them.

Tank is mature and all parameters are within acceptable range with no signs of stress in anything.

Are they just establishing dominance/sex or is this something by I should be worried about?

BB889D8F-F9C7-4EDB-B5E7-75617761C208.jpeg 1CDE332E-92CF-462D-8A84-8855787BAEC7.jpeg 9D3B31A6-7BA4-4613-828B-C7E87C7236F3.jpeg C5EC6919-6911-4A85-BC1B-8F4DBC016F71.jpeg 1EDA613E-617A-49B6-BF4B-6AD00D56356D.jpeg A55E4411-6B76-406D-B832-0131BC47A47A.jpeg

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely doesn't look like establishing dominance, they look like they're outright fighting. They both seem to be males, and I guess your best bet is taking one back to the store and getting a much smaller one, or hoping that they don't kill each other while one turns female. Usually in an asexual pair you'll have one that's naturally more submissive and they sort things out with gentle nudges, but nothing as aggressive as that, in my experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its mucus buildup do to brooklynella , common on especially wild clowns. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
RubyU235

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its mucus buildup do to brooklynella , common on especially wild clowns. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
I don’t think so. They aren’t lethargic, are eating normally, aren’t scratching, and have no trouble respirating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t think so. They aren’t lethargic, are eating normally, aren’t scratching, and have no trouble respirating.
I blew up pic, looked like buildup on fish to realize its your tank glass. Also saw video now. Those fish are battling no doubt and damage is likely on lips. You need to separate them in acclimation box, sump, somewhere but this will not end well. As clowns often change sexes, looks like a hierarchy display with one trying to establish dominance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that all reef roids with the pumps off.

I think we’re gonna rehome the smaller one and get a different clown or maybe just leave it solitary.
With that much fighting, I don't think they will settle down soon enough to avoid more serious damage, separating them is probably the best course of action.

Jay

OP
OP
RubyU235

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much fighting, I don't think they will settle down soon enough to avoid more serious damage, separating them is probably the best course of action.

Jay
I got a floating breeder box and now they’re separated with the larger, darker, aggressive, and what I think is the female, in the box. Smaller one that was getting bullied keeps hanging out next to it. I’ll leave her in there for about 3 days and see how it works out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back