What is this ?

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone , so I got some more equipment for my 65 gallon tank today as my cycle is almost complete and I need to get everything ready to stock . After I set up my new heater and wave makers along with one of my lights (grabbing the other one from another LFS tomorrow ) I noticed this guy popping out of one of the live rocks I grabbed when I initially set the tank up . Prior to this I did not see this in the tank before . After I turned the light on it started to shrivel up back into the rock . Anyone have an idea of what this is ? I attached the pictures below for eveyone to view . Thanks in advance !

IMG_3547.jpeg IMG_3546.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it in my tank for a week , I got it from my LFS
I'm fighting a big outbreak right now. All dry rock almost a year old tank. They can come in on anything, frag, algae ECT. Many people have it in the tank. Just a pain in the butt

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the rock out just boil some water in microwave and use a syringe to inject it till turns white. I kill them inside the tank this way.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't boil live rock it will then be dead rock and defeat the purpose of buying live rock in the first place and it may very well pop up somewhere else. Toss a couple of peppermint shrimp in. I have a 180g that was pretty bad and the peppermint shrimp have done a great job.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rock out , gonna boil it in water. Might just get rid f of it all together was my least favorite rock anyways .
I would not advise this. You don't know what tank that was in, and if there were poly's. There's a risk of polytoxin poisoning

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back