What is wrong with my setup?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to what i am thinking now is...not all pond foam is the same...some are good and some just dont last.....lots of people are using cheep pond foams cuz they are scared of the $13 a can for becketts

I would agree that not all foams are equal. My cans were $12 each, so I wouldn't exactly call that cheaping out. Those using the cheap $5 foam; that I would say yes to being cheap.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true...

i wasnt saying you cheeped out Sara. you, like many, where only using what was available, or what others used at the time.

OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not hopeful it will help at all, but Craig & Holly borrowed me a spare UV filter they had. got it plumbed in this morning. We'll see.

Trouble also is there isn't exactly a good/bad indicator to tell if anything is helping. Kinda hard to measure if slow die off of corals is stopping.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between enough polyfilter and quality carbon, is there anyone that could tell you if you can rule out chemicals and/or leaching? Maybe chemist Randy? I can't seem to find any concrete evidence on the foam causing a crash. There has been however, documented cases of a strain of virus or something killing off certain species of SPS and the owners have never been able to keep those species in those particular tanks ever again. I read a fantastic article on it and I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I remember reading something about that once, but I forgot about that.

I gave the foam a good inspection today. it doesn't appear to be breaking down at all and it quite rigid.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been however, documented cases of a strain of virus or something killing off certain species of SPS and the owners have never been able to keep those species in those particular tanks ever again. I read a fantastic article on it and I'll see if I can find it.

That would certainly make sense and the zeo process may well have made this biological pathogen prevalent. It may have given it just what it needed to take hold of your system.

Jeremy

Mako56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same kind of problem I think I only have one sps left and an over population of mushrooms. I don't know what to do either but am thinking of cleaning the sand bed out of my refugium and taking out all the mushrooms. Now I just need to find the time to tear it all down.:eek:oh:

OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun prospect, isn't it?

i'd probably already have ripped mine down if it weren't for all the fish and the logistics of what to do with them.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same kind of problem I think I only have one sps left and an over population of mushrooms. I don't know what to do either but am thinking of cleaning the sand bed out of my refugium and taking out all the mushrooms. Now I just need to find the time to tear it all down.:eek:oh:

Were you also using zeo or any other bacterial proliferation method??

Jeremy

Mako56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun prospect, isn't it?

i'd probably already have ripped mine down if it weren't for all the fish and the logistics of what to do with them.
Ya its a major project and it is going to take quite some time I imagine the fish wiil get sick too with all the changes and they are all so healthy. I could just let the mushrooms take over the whole tank I guess, they look very healthy too.

Were you also using zeo or any other bacterial proliferation method??

Jeremy
Nope never used anything like that I did try the three part mix for a while and that could be what happened but it been over six months since I used that.

Last edited:

Limpits_Reef

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun prospect, isn't it?

Sorry to hear that you had a tank crash and that things are not going well with your tank now.
I'll admit tearing down and starting over is really a lot of work but in the long run it really is worth it.
Remember that 5 foot 125 gallon I had that was full of mushrooms?
Here is that same tank a year and a half later after doing a complete teardown.
1-10-10023.jpg

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't over think it..Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank..Check your sand bed, Test your water for Po4, check the membranes on that RODI unit, get a TDS meter for it as well...How old are your bulbs? Is your temp good? and staying balanced? salinity always the same at water change? Keeping nutrients out of the tank? Do the simple things first and do the waiting game

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back