What is wrong with my zoa?

Micky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these bam bam zoas since the beginning of March. I haven’t seen them open up since I got them. After multiple water changes and multiple dips over a month they still didn’t open. They are in an area in my tank were there is low light and a good amount of flow. I have no idea what is wrong with them.
C0012B6B-C82E-452D-9D1F-AB7C32F93D2E.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Leave them alone. I’ve had zoas take a couple months to open after moving them to a new tank. What are your parameters, age of tank, lighting, real or dry live rock, etc?

OP
OP
M

Micky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop dipping them. Everytime you do that, you're irritating them.
Next, please post all of your tank parameters, including age of tank.
Also, what inverts and fish do you have in the tank?
Hey sorry for taking so long to reply I was very busy but now I’m back home. Anyways here are my tank parameters.

Nitrates are at 25 ppm
Calcium is at 440 ppm
Magnesium is at 1260 ppm
Alkalinity is at 7.3 dkh
Phosphate are around 0 to 0.05 ppm very hard to tell because I have the api test kit

My 45 gallon tank has been up for 3 months now and has been cycled. And now for the list of fish and inverts I have in my tank.

2 maroon clown fish
1 cleaner shrimp
15 hermit crabs
10 snails
3 yellow tail damsel fish
1 damsel fish that has a dark blue color
1 percula clown fish his tank is currently being cycled won’t stay for long

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the dips...thats just for pests unless its lugols after an injury or fragging. Are they getting enough light? Too much flow and not enough light could be the issue...its like, why would I open myself to get pushed around for nothing..lol

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry for taking so long to reply I was very busy but now I’m back home. Anyways here are my tank parameters.

Nitrates are at 25 ppm
Calcium is at 440 ppm
Magnesium is at 1260 ppm
Alkalinity is at 7.3 dkh
Phosphate are around 0 to 0.05 ppm very hard to tell because I have the api test kit

My 45 gallon tank has been up for 3 months now and has been cycled. And now for the list of fish and inverts I have in my tank.

2 maroon clown fish
1 cleaner shrimp
15 hermit crabs
10 snails
3 yellow tail damsel fish
1 damsel fish that has a dark blue color
1 percula clown fish his tank is currently being cycled won’t stay for long
Api test kits are very unreliable

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zoa's looked very similar to yours until recently where I started dosing a selection of things from the Coral Essentials range, along with phytoplankton. Iv'e also started regular feeds of reef roids. The zoas, and all my corals have turned around in the space of a couple of weeks and are now looking great. I was scratching my head too as the main parameters were fine. I just wasn't feeding them. Calcium and magnesium are same as you. Alkalinity is at 11. It's been sitting there for a week now, hoping it will slowly reduce. NItrates 10, Phosphates 0.09. Hardly doing any water changes now, under 1% / week. I would consider saving up to get a Hanna UL phosphate checker.

REEFER-RICK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zoa's looked very similar to yours until recently where I started dosing a selection of things from the Coral Essentials range, along with phytoplankton. Iv'e also started regular feeds of reef roids. The zoas, and all my corals have turned around in the space of a couple of weeks and are now looking great. I was scratching my head too as the main parameters were fine. I just wasn't feeding them. Calcium and magnesium are same as you. Alkalinity is at 11. It's been sitting there for a week now, hoping it will slowly reduce. NItrates 10, Phosphates 0.09. Hardly doing any water changes now, under 1% / week. I would consider saving up to get a Hanna UL phosphate checker.
Hi what is your light setting at blues on % off at time whites % on also off time , my zoas have not open in about a month now tank is 4 months old. did have an algae bloom when black for 3 days all gone now

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back