What is wrong with this fish?

alicel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID what is on my orange clown? It looks like a cloudy white substance. The fish seems fine and unbothered. I haven't noticed any change in behavior, heavy breathing or anything else concerning. However, I've only had the fish for 4 days.
I also have another clown, a goby and a cleaner shrimp and they are all fine. There is no odd white substance on any of them.

Also - while you're here....is all that red stuff cyano? With hand removal between water changes/tank cleaning, things are starting to look better... should I just keep doing that until it finally goes away?

image0 (1).jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isolate that fish before he infects your other fish. It’s either brook or velvet.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start your search for a hospital tank. 10 gallon or a clear plastic tote if your short on cash. I’m not exactly sure on the process of treating brooklynella but it kills fast and spreads fast.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
A

alicel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start your search for a hospital tank. 10 gallon or a clear plastic tote if your short on cash. I’m not exactly sure on the process of treating brooklynella but it kills fast and spreads fast.
Thank you for your info. I'm not quite sure how to go about starting up a hospital tank considering it will need to cycle.. also thank you for the article

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your info. I'm not quite sure how to go about starting up a hospital tank considering it will need to cycle.. also thank you for the article
What I did was I bought a plastic tote, a pump to circulate water and a heater and a ammonia badge from seachem. All that depending on how you’re treating is dedicated to just the hospital stuff. I treated with copper and copper kills invertebrates and snails so I use it just to treat fish. You can seed your hospital tank with anything from your main tank that houses bacteria but be warned that you can’t return back to main tank. Made fresh saltwater and medicated per instructions and water volume. Since I had no way of seeding my tank what I did was just do a daily water change of a gallon to keep ammonia at bay and kept a close eye on my ammonia badge. Did that for 2-3 weeks while my fish were being treated. Mine was ich so copper was the fix looks like brooklynella has a different course of action. Don’t mean to worry you but you really need to act fast before it takes out the clown and possibly your other fish.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to answer the cyano question, yes that looks like cyano. They like clean tank water (low nitrates and phosphates) so reduce water changes or you can treat with chemiclean.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back