What is your “process” for mounting acro frags?

Do you find mounting acro frags to your rock difficult?

• Yes

Votes: 143 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 308 52.1%
  • Kinda

Votes: 140 23.7%

• Total voters

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you madweazl, I like that idea a lot. I might have to borrow it from you!
Also, thanks to rkpetersen for the tip about cleaning the rock before mounting anything.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ALWAYS remove the Frag plug even if it’s encrusting. Two reasons.... pests and eggs love frag plugs and also frag plugs look pants in an aquarium aquascape

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be the only one to use rock rubble. :eek: Besides the risks expressed about the plugs, I don't like the look of them in a tank. I keep rock rubble in the sump. I can drill a small hole if needed in the rubble, glue the frag to that, and then glue the rubble to the rock work. The other benefit is if the new frag doesn't like the location, it's easier to pop the piece of rubble off and move it.

As with everything, plenty of ways to skin a cat.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be the only one to use rock rubble. :eek: Besides the risks expressed about the plugs, I don't like the look of them in a tank. I keep rock rubble in the sump. I can drill a small hole if needed in the rubble, glue the frag to that, and then glue the rubble to the rock work. The other benefit is if the new frag doesn't like the location, it's easier to pop the piece of rubble off and move it.

As with everything, plenty of ways to skin a cat.

I'm love this idea. I am going to grab some rubble next time I am at my favorite fish store and throw it in the sump.

Thank you

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finely tried the tunze purple putty,
upload_2019-3-4_6-51-45.jpeg

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So which glue are you guys using. I was using Seachem Reef Glue then ran out and did not want to wait on it from Amazon so I tried Gorilla gel glue. But I will be going back to my Seachem I guess.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the frag is really encrusted over the plug ( I usually don't purchase them that way) I take the frag off the plug and dip. I live near the ocean,
I find small sections of sand dollars and bleach them. I allow the sand dollars fragments to sit in the sun and rain for a month. I then wash them off and put them in a
bucket of salt water that matches the salt I use in my tank. After a couple of weeks, they are ready to use. Occasionally I'll use a piece that wasn't in the salt water for a couple of weeks
and never had an issue. They are small pieces. Anyway, I then glue the frag to the sand dollar fragment and mount them in the tank. Since the sand dollars are flat, I find them much easier to mount then breaking off the bottoms of the plugs. They also look more natural since they look like a piece of the rock work within a couple of weeks.
well you certainly have the most unique way. Super cool.

I've used just glue, glue and putty, just putty. Removed the plug, kept the plug but trimmed it up, removed and mounted to rock rubble. IDK what I like more, I find mounting corals one of the most annoying parts lol. Probably because I feel that half the time I put hands in my tank something goes wrong.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to to use the 2 little fishes epoxy, but if it touches the frag they can die. Something about the reaction of the epoxy, although I’m not sure.
I’m now trying these beads you put in warm water and they form a gel sort of application that then I attach to the plug and then apply them to the rock. It’s an intersting concept and I cannot remember the name of them but I have noticed that a little glue might be needed when attaching them to the rocks because I’ve had a few fall off.
Plus it finishes in a white color so they’re noticeable

Corey

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back