What is your favorite powerhead?

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your favorite powerhead size and brand?
I am looking to replace my jabao’s because they are older.
also if anyone knows of a good one with nem guards that would be awesome too!

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my maxspect gyre xf350. run a single one for lps dominant 75 gallon. comes with mesh covers, and works super well for me. My anemone loves to sit right over it (nerve wrecking) but has been there for 3 months, never gotten sucked in.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my maxspect gyre xf350. run a single one for lps dominant 75 gallon. comes with mesh covers, and works super well for me. My anemone loves to sit right over it (nerve wrecking) but has been there for 3 months, never gotten sucked in.
It says it works for up to a 800+ gallon tank?! So I don’t need more than one for my 150 gallon?

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it works for up to a 800+ gallon tank?! So I don’t need more than one for my 150 gallon?
Its recommended for 80+ and 1 is no where near enough for 800 gallons, but can never have too much flow. it reaches across my 4 foot tank pretty well on 100% random flow (random changes in % of power, anywhere from 10-100%) and moves my LPS nicely. Im looking into a 2nd one to start adding SPS though.

If you want SPS heavy id go 2 as the controller can run 2 at a time, if you run mainly softy/lps/FOWLR one is more than likely enough.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never used them I suspect the most popular answer will be EcoTech, as they seem to be the industry standard high end power head. I'm cheap so I have been using 2 jebao gyres without any problems for two and a half years so far. If your jebaos have lasted you a long time without issue, why switch to something else, or even replace them before they actually die?

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze by a long shot here. Ecotech is super overpriced these days. They used to be worth it when they had quality control but these days it is a crap shoot with them. I had 4 wetsides fail in less than a year. 2 of them were DOA from Ecotech.

I tried Neros and MyAI sucked. I also had one die in less than a month of use.

So back to Tunze I went and not a single problem. They run forever, are quiet, Roger is one of the best reps in the industry, etc...

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to replace my jabao’s because they are older.

Your Jebao's have lasted too long??? so now you want to know what to replaced them with??

how about some new Jebao's? With the new upgraded controller and APP/wifi control.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RS 45s and 25s. They work great and so does the ReefBeat app. I also have a pair of Neptune WAVS. The WAVs have some great power and I like the fact they just plug into my Apex EB832 and don't need a controller.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Jebao's have lasted too long??? so now you want to know what to replaced them with??

how about some new Jebao's? With the new upgraded controller and APP/wifi control.
Well these are older the guy I bought the tank from said they were about 3-5 years old.(I have 3 rn) honestly I just don’t like the open front design… it’s already eaten 1 fish and I would love something with a bit more protection for my anemones and less power heads would be better IMO.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never used them I suspect the most popular answer will be EcoTech, as they seem to be the industry standard high end power head. I'm cheap so I have been using 2 jebao gyres without any problems for two and a half years so far. If your jebaos have lasted you a long time without issue, why switch to something else, or even replace them before they actually die?
Well I am planning out in advance. Plus it’s killed 1 fox face and an anemone. They spark when I plug them in and I’m just waiting for a fire. They are like3-5 years old (the newer one is smaller and it’s probably the only one I will keep).
I just don’t like how open the front is… I want a bit more protection and cannot find anemone guards for these Jaboa gyros

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back