What is your favorite tang for a reef?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love tangs!! Tell us which tang is your favorite to recommend for a reef tank. What is most important to you? Beauty? Personality? Aggression? How do these factor into your decision when picking a tang for your tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Eye Kole Tang. Because they're absolutely gorgeous :) I really want to own one someday, but need a bigger tank first :) The nice thing is they don't need a huge tank like some of the bigger tangs. And from what i've been told are not as aggressive as other tangs.
891de6c951242ace01dfe94c22a50b23.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs!! Tell us which tang is your favorite to recommend for a reef tank. What is most important to you? Beauty? Personality? Aggression? How do these factor into your decision when picking a tang for your tank?
Achilles tang. IMO no other tang can compete it's just beautiful. I dream of owning one some day, but only when I'm ready to take it on.
hqdefault.jpg

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles tang. IMO no other tang can compete it's just beautiful. I dream of owning one some day, but only when I'm ready to take it on.
hqdefault.jpg

It has become more expensive and I've had many chances of owning a juve Achilles but I just don't have the guts to pull the trigger ... :(. I'm with you about the Achilles being the "ultimate" Tang!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hqdefault.jpg
They get HUGE in the wild. I saw a few in Hawaii and they can easily get 12" or more in length. Seeing some tangs in the wild, especially unicorn and blonde naso tangs, makes me second guess keeping any of those in something smaller than 1000 g

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the Kole tang is the hardest working cuc member you can get. Constant grazing, eats detritus and relishes other fishes poop. Really pretty fish too.

That said, my power brown is my favorite. Just gorgeous fish and a hard worker too. Very active.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has become more expensive and I've had many chances of owning a juve Achilles but I just don't have the guts to pull the trigger ... :(. I'm with you about the Achilles being the "ultimate" Tang!
I'll make it happen some day when I build my monster tank. Hopefully it'll take one try, no way I'll pull the trigger without tons of research

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Achiles is georgeous and hard to keep from what I understand. May get one eventually.

I had Sohol and while they are beautiful they want to rule the whole tank and grow huge. Will probably not get another.

I've always liked Clown Tangs so I will definitely get one again.

Going forward, whatever tangs I buy I will buy in "tiny" size and grown from there.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yellow Eye Kole Tang. Because they're absolutely gorgeous :) I really want to own one someday, but need a bigger tank first :) The nice thing is they don't need a huge tank like some of the bigger tangs. And from what i've been told are not as aggressive as other tangs.
891de6c951242ace01dfe94c22a50b23.jpg

I too love them and have one currently. Got him little larger than a quarter; he is somewhat shy but is doing well and growing fast.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back