3 achilles tang
1 purple tang
3 yellow tangs
1 hippo tang
1 tomini
1 yellow eye kole tang
1 powder blue
1 naso

i love all tangs and they all get along and never had any issues with them. My most fav is Achilles.

20170604_201106.jpg

20170604_201125.jpg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang is tough but doesn't hassle anyone.
He constantly grazes, cleaning the tank.
Eats pretty well everything I feed
upload_2018-11-13_8-45-39.png

I’m space limited so can’t possibly consider some of the other beautiful animals you all are suggesting, but I do love my Yellow Tang (Carol).

dedbdac7fb942ce1d40c6aad0c8b54d1.jpg

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles Tang and Powder Brown Tang, I have them both in separate tanks and they are true workers and absolutely gorgeous. The powder brown is alittle aggressive at times but the Achilles is super friendly and playful with the rabbit fish, and can care less about the wrasses.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love Tangs, and I have quite a few of them, but I think my absolute favourite is my Yellow Tang

He’s a beautiful specimen

Here’s a picture of him getting a little treatment.....

7518831808_IMG_0261.jpg

All my tangs get on together without any issues and just go around pecking at rocks

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too love them and have one currently. Got him little larger than a quarter; he is somewhat shy but is doing well and growing fast.
I’ve had three that were bought from three different vendors, two local and one online. All of them perished. One succumbed to velvet along with eight of his tank mates. The other two died for no apparent reason. So, I’ve decided not to get another. Sometimes, it’s just not meant to be. It’s kinda like the mandarin gobies I had. I had a 500 gallon, very well established tank and, for some reason, could not keep them alive. Same for clams, although my current tank has had a clam resident for months and he’s doing fine. Go figure. But you’re tight.... they are great fish!

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the purple tang endorsement:

They are arguably the most bulletproof tang (and maybe even fish) out there. I’ve seen those things live and thrive through just about everything. They are a staple in my client tanks.

I have a client who moved into a new office. A month after moving, we had a Memorial Day weekend with highs in the mid-90s. The building shut the A/C off over the weekend, and it cooked the aquarium. Every coral, anemone, fish, shrimp, star, clam, etc died with tank temps being over 100deg for 2 straight days.

The only thing that lived? Purple tang. Didn’t even faze it.

Last edited:

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1b vote goes to the Vlamingi. Great looking, great personality.

The Naso genus tangs tend to be the peacekeepers of the tank. I’ve seen fireworks between other tangs, angels, etc, and have watched Naso sp. tangs just swim through it and break it up.

This guy is awesome. Probably 10-11” long. Flawless in appearance, and just a super personable fish.

ML7OaWV.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all Tangs are my favorite. Of the 6 I have in my tank, my Unicorn is my favorite so far. Really peaceful, gets along with all other tank mates and an overall character. And getting big quick. My final tang will be a Sohal. I've always had a desire to someday own that tang.
20180629_204634.jpg

Assume you know that's a vlamingii (big nose naso) and not really a unicorn? Regardless, a spectacular fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the original question is about utility, then I always have a bristle in my reef tank. The kole is cool, but I prefer the Chevron (I happen to like it's adult coloration). Otherwise, my favorite is the Mauritius convict, manly because of its scarcity in the hobby.

IMG_0321.JPG

Fortunately, since I run a very large system, I don't have to choose. Currently home to two naso (elegans and brevirostris), four zebrasomas (gem, yellow, purple, desjardini), one chevron, one hippo/regal and the zebra. I also keep a black longnose in the refugium.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the original question is about utility, then I always have a bristle in my reef tank. The kole is cool, but I prefer the Chevron (I happen to like it's adult coloration). Otherwise, my favorite is the Mauritius convict, manly because of its scarcity in the hobby.

IMG_0321.JPG

Fortunately, since I run a very large system, I don't have to choose. Currently home to two naso (elegans and brevirostris), four zebrasomas (gem, yellow, purple, desjardini), one chevron, one hippo/regal and the zebra. I also keep a black longnose in the refugium.

A GEM? I woulda said that was my favorite but its too darn expensive. I looooovvvve spots. we need pictures!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back