What is your favourite underrated marine fish?

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini puffer may not be underrated but I just heard of them and fell in love.
I used to have one years ago. It was my second ever saltwater fish and I have been in love with them ever since! I will definitely get one again at some point!

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be an “underrated” fish but most certainly my favorite pair in my tank and that is my leopard wrasse. Wrasse’s in general are interesting fish to observe.

When I put the pair in one swam around looking at his new crib. Meanwhile the other dove straight to the basement and dug himself in the sand. Also, where he resided for the next week until one day low and behold there he was.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking underrated. I'm calling out the most underrated as the Freshwater Molly.

1. Doesn't need to be quarantined as the pathogens from fresh to saltwater don't transfer.
2. Does a heck of a job eating all sorts of nuisance algae.
3. Tons of colors and shapes.
4. Very friendly fish.
5. Super cheap
6. Pretty hardy and good for starting up your tank

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one fish but Genicanthus Angelfish in general are incredibly underrated. They get big so they require larger aquariums which for sure has some part in their lack of popularity but they are absolutely a perfect fit as a big fish that is perfectly reef safe, while other large fish are difficult at the very least. Tangs are finicky, Foxfaces are prone to nip and get very big, other Angels are very prone to nip. The only other large fish I know of that can compete with the Genicanthus is the Pyramid Butterflyfish.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mccullochi dottyback - my all time favorite. Wish we'd see more of them.

Fijian McCullochi Dottyback Male 2in 249.99.jpg

Chestnut Blenny - I love this guy. He just show boats and struts all the time.

Dsc07598.jpg

And just to agree with others, love Chalk Bass and Rabbitfish/Foxfaces.

DSC06374.JPG

Last edited:

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Yellowtail Angel - incredibly durable and very busy in the tank. Just a tad bit of a bully.
Springeri Damsel - gorgeous electric blue color and always out in the open showing it off

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree about several damsel species. They have fantastic color and can be kept in groups. Have to be very careful which ones you choose to add to a reef obviously. I've got a few azure, a half black, and a talbott's and they get along for the most part. They each have their own territories though and will chase away other damsels very quickly... they will also bite me or the tool I'm using if I go near them. Thankfully they don't bother any other fish. Fun having them!

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish. Pygmy white spotted filefish, aptasia eating filefish. Filefish have the best personalities, change color, and swim like adorable little dweebs. They recognize the owner and are very friendly with other tank mates and with whoever feeds them . I also love flame hawk fish which someone mentioned and am happy to hear about chalk bass - been eyeing them...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scopas tang, I like their perfect spade shape the best of the zebrasoma's, and their temperament makes them one of my fav tangs. They can go in somewhat smaller tanks and pics don't do them justice.

Oh, and they are inexpensive.

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has to be my engineer goby, I bought him or her I don’t know the sex of it, as a juvenile and watching it and out of the rocks aswell as getting the adult stripes!

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True Springer's damsels (not the unidentified black splotched ones). I've had the same 3 in my tank for over 4 years. They are a great addition to a reef tank imo and very fun to watch swim in and out of sps. The female lays eggs about every 2 weeks and will mate with both of the males and even then they are pretty docile. I'd rank my clownfish and chromis higher on an aggressive scale. They also eradicated my red planaria.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail Spot Blenny - they're adorable and they have so much personality. Mine's great at eating algae, wouldn't dream of hurting my coral, and is exceptionally peaceful.

It's also small for a blenny so it fits perfectly in my little BioCube 32.
Tail. Spot. Blenny. :cool:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%

Back