What is your ideal feeding schedule for predators?

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,
Was wondering what an ideal feeding schedule would be for my 150G FOWLR tank.
Current stocking list (all very small juveniles currently)
-porcupine puffer
-Picasso trigger
-black Volitans Lionfish
-harlequin tusk
-mappa puffer
-snowflake eel

I’m use chunky mix, fresh shell on shrimp, and clams on the Half shell. I also throw in 3-4 ghost shrimp 2-3 times a week
Sunday: chunky mix,
Monday: shrimp and 1-2 clams,
Tuesday :chunky,
Wednesday: 2 clams,
Thursday: chunky
Friday: thawed shell on shrimp
Saturday: chunky and 1 clam

@lion king any suggestions on feeding live food?

Any suggestions on where to improve?
Should I add at least one fast day to my schedule?
Am I way over Feeding?

I have a bubble magus curve 7 and an eschopps 150 wet dry as mechanical filtration, and a, looking to add a biopellet reactor to my current setup to try to offset the large nitrates I assume I will always be battling with the bioload I have.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Brett

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my triggers, puffers, and such daily; sometimes I'll split their feeding into 2 sessions if I'm hanging around. They enjoy eating a couple times a day but it's not necessary, I prefer to make sure they scrounge around for any left overs.

The snowflake will likely do best about every 3 days, feed him his full, he will let you know when he is satisfied.

The volitan lion will do well every 2-3 days, when smaller every 2 days. I play it by ear and feed mine every 2 to 3 days depending on how much he ate last feeding. Target feed him the chunky meats until a nice bulge in the belly. Depending on his size, a few smaller food items rather than larger, and he will usually let you know when he is full.

Feeding that tank live food really isn't necessary for long term health and success of those species. All in your tank has proven long term success eating a dead only diet. If you want to do it for enrichment it will just be at your discretion. I would put like 20-25 ghosties in at a time once a week and let them all hunt them down, everyone in the tank will enjoy the hunt.

You are not over feeding, I'd say maybe under feeding. You should see some nice round , full bellies when you are done. Some do put in a fasting day once a week, but that practice really comes from the lfs being closed on Sunday. In the wild triggers and puffers and such don't fast as such, they are always on the hunt. Lions and eels on the other hand, gorge then fast, so for them it's best to give them a big meal, then a fast for a couple of days.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back