What is your ideal temp.

• Total voters

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping mine at 80 degrees now for around six months. I was battling dinoflagellates for around 5 years. After trying everything in the book to get rid of them, a member suggested raising my temp from 78 up to 80. I did and the Dino’s went away! Of course all this is anecdotal but it did seem to help.

Raising up from 78 to 80 took some time close to a week, but there has been no ill effect since. Matter fact my corals look a lot better. If raising your temp is what you want to do, do it slowly over the course of a day or so.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping mine at 80 degrees now for around six months. I was battling dinoflagellates for around 5 years. After trying everything in the book to get rid of them, a member suggested raising my temp from 78 up to 80. I did and the Dino’s went away! Of course all this is anecdotal but it did seem to help.

Raising up from 78 to 80 took some time close to a week, but there has been no ill effect since. Matter fact my corals look a lot better. If raising your temp is what you want to do, do it slowly over the course of a day or so.
We had a bit of a hot spell and my reef was going from 76 to 85 daily

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how the ocean fluctuates? I know it's the ocean, but there has to be some shallower reefs where currents or sunlight can change the temp by at least a few degrees in a short time in certain places from time to time. I wonder what species live in places like that.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
79.5-80 is the usual year round temp. But with the extreme heat we’ve had, I’ve been letting it rise to 81 before I turn on the AC.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During that heat wave a week ago mine peaked at 89. Lost quite a bit of sps. I thought I had fans in storage but was wrong
Yea, it was toasty. It was 108 in my driveway and I managed to limit the reef in the uninsulated garage to 85 without a chiller or air conditioner. I am going to get a small cheap window a/c to be better prepared in the future.
Cheers! Mark

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it was toasty. It was 108 in my driveway and I managed to limit the reef in the uninsulated garage to 85 without a chiller or air conditioner. I am going to get a small cheap window a/c to be better prepared in the future.
Cheers! Mark
Chiller>AC

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how the ocean fluctuates? I know it's the ocean, but there has to be some shallower reefs where currents or sunlight can change the temp by at least a few degrees in a short time in certain places from time to time. I wonder what species live in places like that.

Turns out that yes, some reefs do have higher daily temperature fluctuation, and those are the ones that will survive global warming. Unfortunately the article doesn't talk about specific coral species, but I bet those picky acros are on the going-extinct list.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your post suggests, coral reefs in nature experience a range of different temperature conditions.

Daily or seasonal temperature fluctuations don't seem to affect the species composition of the reef very much (e.g. in the very well studied reefs on American Samoa).

Consistently high or low temperatures have a big impact on species composition. Corals thrive in the hot waters of the Arabian Gulf, but very few species.

Putting aside the unusual extremes, almost all reef building corals exist within a narrow temperature range of about 24-28°C (75-85°F). I like 26°C (78.8°F), which is close to the annual average for most reefs I've studied.

I use fans on a temperature controller to cool my tanks to this level, its all I need as long as we turn on the AC when its hot out.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my controllers to a low of 76 (heaters on) and a high of 78 (heaters off). During the warmer months I fluctuate between 77.5 and 79.2 with an average of 78.2. My tank is in the basement so ambient temps are cooler.

Back