What is your reefing unpopular opinion?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. When people use a little bit of rocks and make fancy designs. Usually this leaves no sleeping/hiding spots for the fish.
Not true at all. You can have both. Hiding space plus beautiful design. But I agree that most people are not making consideration for fish when doing NSA.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true at all. You can have both. Hiding space plus beautiful design. But I agree that most people are not making consideration for fish when doing NSA.
Agreed you can have both. That's not what NSA is though.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. When people use a little bit of rocks and make fancy designs. Usually this leaves no sleeping/hiding spots for the fish.
I accidentally did that in my last aquascape but when I looked and saw there were no hiding spaces for the fish, I changed the scape because I felt bad. Hiding spots should be paramount. Obviously you don’t want it to look terrible but do both, not just looks.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LEDs are overrated. Halides are still King.

NSA is a terrible fad and needs to go away sooner rather than later.

Bare bottom sucks.

All for Reef isn't everything it is hyped up to be.

Water changes do more harm than good when utilized weekly.

IG tanks are rarely any good. Anyone can stock a tank with LPS and fluoresce them with blue LEDs.

Most YouTubers will lead you down the wrong path.

Old school methods will produce better long term results.

I'm ready to fight :p

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate on your first point if possible?

Sure.

Corals are luxury goods with no intrinsic value. Much like art, the value of a coral is entirely down to whatever someone will pay for it. There's nothing about a bounce mushroom, a Walt Disney acro, or a Dragon Soul torch that makes it any more or less valuable than a discosoma, a green slimer, or a clove coral. The only thing that changes is how much hobbyists are willing to pay for it.

So objectively, there is no 'proper' price for a coral. The proper price is whatever someone will pay for it.

Now, there can certainly be corals that the individual hobbyist thinks are not worth the asking price. In which case, they can let their feelings be known by not buying the coral. And if enough hobbyists relative to the supply of the coral agree, then the price will eventually come down. And you see that happen all the time. The corals that remain perennially expensive are those that are slow to grow, difficult to procure from the wild, and highly colorful. So torches and other euphyllia remain expensive, while mushrooms and zoas and (some) acros gradually come down in price.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bare bottom sucks.

IG tanks are rarely any good. Anyone can stock a tank with LPS and fluoresce them with blue LEDs.

Would you be able to elaborate on your point about water changes?

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.

Corals are luxury goods with no intrinsic value. Much like art, the value of a coral is entirely down to whatever someone will pay for it. There's nothing about a bounce mushroom, a Walt Disney acro, or a Dragon Soul torch that makes it any more or less valuable than a discosoma, a green slimer, or a clove coral. The only thing that changes is how much hobbyists are willing to pay for it.

So objectively, there is no 'proper' price for a coral. The proper price is whatever someone will pay for it.

Now, there can certainly be corals that the individual hobbyist thinks are not worth the asking price. In which case, they can let their feelings be known by not buying the coral. And if enough hobbyists relative to the supply of the coral agree, then the price will eventually come down. And you see that happen all the time. The corals that remain perennially expensive are those that are slow to grow, difficult to procure from the wild, and highly colorful. So torches and other euphyllia remain expensive, while mushrooms and zoas and (some) acros gradually come down in price.
I mostly agree with your point. I think that corals, like art have a price merely based on what people are willing to pay for it and that goes up or down depending on the demand. I would say though, that within the coral itself, there can be an expensive specimen. For example if you get a torch coral that is the same size and colour as the other two, but one is $300 more expensive, I would personally say that is expensive in comparison to the other two but I get what you mean when you say it’s about demand

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I don't think there is too much if any free ammonia in urine. It's tied up in urea and other compounds. I think.

For me? Corals are really only worth buying online when they're on sale. Otherwise, you gotta be kidding me.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bare bottom sucks.

Preach

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bare bottom sucks.

I’m loving the LEDs. Halides are too hot!

TM A4F is amazing stuff!

Water changes have helped my aquarium thrive.

Agree on the rest of the stuff!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%

Back