What keeps you in the hobby or makes you come back to it?

What keeps you in the hobby?

• I like to have my slice of ocean

• It brings me peace of mind

• I like the colors

• It keeps me busy

• My family loves the tank

• I like to have something to take care of

• Just for fun

• My wife makes me

• I have to spend the money on something

• I don't know

• Others (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The view
IMG_3492_HEIC-M.jpg

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the challenge of reefing. I failed twice in the past, shut down the tanks and went back to the fresh water side. However I couldn’t give up on reefing. Now I have been successful for the last six years. Now I look at the beautiful tanks at wwc and I say I will have a tank like that one day. I can’t help myself now, I’m addicted now.
Oh yeah, we do like that. We are have to learn about marine life but also plumbing, electricity, programming, lighting, etc. It is a well rounded activity that can present new challenges even if your are 10 or 20 years in the hobby. In my case my wife says them same, that I am an addict, thanks God she is so patient to put up with the money expend in coral, fish and equipment.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a hobby for me, it's a way of life as I have had a fish tank of some kind since I was born. I grew up in my Dad's Sea Food market and played with dead fish as toys. :D

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the build and seeing it come to life
Somehow many of us find the starting/building phase much more fun. I guess it is rewarding to create something from zero.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow many of us find the starting/building phase much more fun. I guess it is rewarding to create something from zero.

I agree. For me I think it ties into being the creator of a small ecosystem. It also probably helps that I’m the sort of person who loves learning as much as I can about things that interest me (which is no doubt why I always amazing history professors and teachers when we talk about history: I’m a history but).

but yeah, trying to figure out how to best execute my vision for my mini ecosystem...probably why I am just now about ready to set up my build two years in

backinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all of the responses and can relate to many of them. I have kept tanks since I was young and had fish since I couldn't have any other animals due to allergies (out grown). I kept freshwater for many years and finally took the salt plunge in the late 90's. I kept a FOWLR because I was raising two sons at the time. I retired and started traveling and realized that maintaining a reef tank was difficult for a house sitter to do so I tore down my reef in '19 (65 gallon), saved my rock (although it is dried now) and have determined that I really miss having a tank. I loved the challenge of maintaining a reef and the learning curve involved in it. It's also been very interesting to watch the hobby progress over the years in terms of lighting and equipment.

I have so missed the challenge that I'm back on forums and getting the "the bug" again. I just need to decide what I want to keep. There are sooooo many choices in this hobby and each choice presents with its own set of limitations.

I really miss watching my little ecosystem grow and the thrill of purchasing a new critter! I think dopamine was mentioned.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably my bad memory
I cannot remember how many times In screw it up!
One of the first ones was when I moved to reef from FO, I saw a big bristleworm and tried to pull its small rock out of the tank. The thing rolled over my fingers... ;Vamp

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i've decided to bail out of reefing and going back to fresh. I'm expanding on my FW planted tanks and and selling off my over grown SPS tanks and stock next month.

I've simply got bored with SPS and increasingly prefer the aethestic of FW planted tanks. After years of coming home and being greeted by an annoying blue glow and what feels like culturing fuzzy concrete it's time for a different challenge.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could have chosen a couple more options.

This can be a very sad and frustrating hobby when you inexplicably lose livestock or worse yet you lose an entire tank to disease or a power outage, etc. but it's also a very rewarding hobby when things go right and it doesn't matter if it's a saltwater, freshwater or brackish setup. I can sit here for hours watching the action going on in my tanks although I will admit I often have my tv on at the same time. :-D My ears are listening to the tv while my eyes are watching my fish glide back and forth across the tank or bouncing along the bottom. It's very peaceful and satisfying! I think it's also a special experience to interact with creatures so vastly different than ourselves!
I hear you! I remember I got so disappointed several times, when my lack of patience or knowledge screwed my tank.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a hobby for me, it's a way of life as I have had a fish tank of some kind since I was born. I grew up in my Dad's Sea Food market and played with dead fish as toys. :D
You are lucky!
I hole my kids pick up a hobby from watching me reefing.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a very long time ago what is a 10 gallon tank and fancy tail guppies. I enjoyed the Fancy Tails very much but every time visiting my local store, I was always attracted Tuesday saltwater area. I imagine many saltwater hobbyists started that way. 40 + years ago I began my fish only 55 gallon. Eventually, work requirements took most of my time and I broke down. This past January, my wife bought me a 55 high. So why not try a reef system

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the reason. I’m the type of person that I go all in on a hobby. I got rid of my project/ daily driver when my wife got prego. I always wanted a saltwater tank just always thought they where too hard and expensive.
once in it has been the most rewarding hobby I have ever done. You don’t need a lot of money to have a amazing tank, it sure helps if you do but it’s not a required. The work you put into the tank is obvious. Cars, guns, RC cars, computers Are fun but the reef tank is something I can enjoy all the time.

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for me it is really all of the above and that has been accumulated over the course of 15 years. One of those reasons in some way shape or form has always kept me from quiting when mistakes were made or money was lost. Only hobby I have ever been apart of that constantly gives me some sort of enjoyment! Thanks for the post!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. Im an animal.lover. people can be very dark or evil. I think theres a lot to be learned from the other animals of the world. People are too busy to learn and sit and watch. We would rather watch 30mins of discovery channel and say we learned.
All the life in our tanks we grow and learn to know all the animals and day to day life of the tanks.
Lets us know we are still just human i guess... idk.
Lol
D

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, let's talk about what keeps you going on this hobby. Most of people including myself have "seasons" when I reef more however even if leave my tank alone for while I always come back to enjoy it. People even take breaks in between tanks but something make them come back to reefing.

in my case, it keeps me busy, it cools me and gives my mind something to be focus on. It also cools me, just look at the fish and corals movement makes me drift and relax.

What keeps in the hobby?
Trying different approachs and solving problems.
I feed too much and have to control phosphates via gfo.
Started dosing phyto for corals, phosphate going down.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. Im an animal.lover. people can be very dark or evil. I think theres a lot to be learned from the other animals of the world. People are too busy to learn and sit and watch. We would rather watch 30mins of discovery channel and say we learned.
All the life in our tanks we grow and learn to know all the animals and day to day life of the tanks.
Lets us know we are still just human i guess... idk.
Lol
D
Oh yes, that is so true, the tanks remind us we are just humans. Great reflexion bro.

FYI - I got two cats, one dog and the fish tank, not sure if that qualifies as animal lover.

PhotonBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food market and played with dead fish as toys. :D
This is STILL the best way to maximize the enjoyment of your purchases. When a fish dies in your tank, dont be sad.... just scoop it out and play with it for a while! Bonus time ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back