What killed my Duncan

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Duncans were hardy and hard to kill.
Mine went from happy to dead in a few days.
Meanwhile all other corals are happy (except a few zoas recovering from no light while fighting cyano). No other deaths.
Yes I have struggled with Nitrates at 50ppm
I had lights on blue for 2 weeks to fight cyano
Phosphates were at undetectable numbers (am now dosing phosphorous while carbon dosing)
I replaced my return pump which at high speed was too high so reduced to a more normal power setting for my 30 gal tank.

Am told strontium or iodine depletion might have caused it?

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'd need to have a look at your water parameters. Do you have any before and after images?
I've had nothing out of the ordinary except high 50+ppm nitrates.
This loss coincides with new programmable return pump that flow may have been too high at times.
Lighting power dropped to help fight cyano.
ZERO PO4.

Everything else looks happy and normal until just a few days ago when I noticed the Duncan had pulled away from the branch. It was even growing new branches the last few weeks. It looked a very happy Duncan

13 March looked great
1.30min in

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see in the video the flow looks fine. It's unlikely a nitrate spike was responsible, as my duncans have survived 100+ for long periods of time.

It could be the lighting in combination with very high flow, but I'm going off what you indicated because I don't see that in the video. I don't think low strontium or iodine are necessarily the culprits, either.

Did you supplement your duncan with any food? While they don't need it to survive it can help them thrive.

The only thing you could do is get an ICP lab test and that would tell you what if anything with your parameters is amiss. But if all your other corals are fine it may not shed any illumination.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see in the video the flow looks fine. It's unlikely a nitrate spike was responsible, as my duncans have survived 100+ for long periods of time.

It could be the lighting in combination with very high flow, but I'm going off what you indicated because I don't see that in the video. I don't think low strontium or iodine are necessarily the culprits, either.

Did you supplement your duncan with any food? While they don't need it to survive it can help them thrive.

The only thing you could do is get an ICP lab test and that would tell you what if anything with your parameters is amiss. But if all your other corals are fine it may not shed any illumination.
My previous ICP was like NSW levels. But I could do with a new test
I was feeding them frozen brine once a week along with acans.
It just died so suddenly. I'll use the skeleton to grow Zoas or GSP on ;) May as well make use of it

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back