What kinds of anemone is this?

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at the store it was a pen anemone and I'm wondering if this is correct also I'm wondering why it dug itself under the sand.

The picture shows 1/3 of the size it has bin for the last 3 days since I bought it and in the store it was about 15 times the size of the picture.

Anyone have any thoughts on behavior care and what it is.
20180417_230941.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones do not have tentacles at the end of tentacles.

Does it have a skeletal structure that is buried in the sand?

I am pretty confident on this ID, if I am wrong I apologize and have never ever seen this type of anemone.

Let see what others say. :)

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones do not have tentacles at the end of tentacles.

Does it have a skeletal structure that is buried in the sand?

I am pretty confident on this ID, if I am wrong I apologize and have never ever seen this type of anemone.

Let see what others say. :)
Goni was my gut reaction I have both ... 24 and 12 can't count the "pedals" from this pic.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a foot under the sand... do lips corals move around cause in 3 days he's moved about two feet from where I placed him

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have Jaw Fish or Sand Sifting Stars? Yes some LPS do move by inflation and deflation, 3 feet is a bit much for an LPS but I suppose it's possible.

Google images of Goniopora. :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pictures or it did not happen= POIDH

It might be a Sea Pen, but it's not anemone. And if it's a Sea Pen, you will not be able to keep it alive long term without introducing a lot of nutrients to your tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquad, anyone else have any thoughts on an ID?

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures or it did not happen= POIDH

It might be a Sea Pen, but it's not anemone. And if it's a Sea Pen, you will not be able to keep it alive long term without introducing a lot of nutrients to your tank.
So I feed my tank a mixture of food. I take krill, clams, pe Calanis, pe mysis, cobalt fish pellets, sea weed, and blood warms I blend it into a past and freeze it.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for further ID lol , its not a nem or a sea pen, a simple google search shows that. At this point, I think you might just be trolling
No.. why would I do that.. I was told it's an sea pen anemone which means my lfs sucks and now I don't know what I have and do know how to care for it. At the lfs it was about 15 times bigger then it is now so idk what to do but that was 3 days ago.

I can read a bunch of stuff off Google but would rather get I info from people who may have had one and know what to do

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be hard pressed to find a hobbyist that keeps Sea Pens, mostly because they need a constant feeding of fine particulate matter, you will foul your tank trying to keep it alive unless you have a tank designed to support non-photosynthetic corals.

It would behoove you to research any and all further purchases if you're new to the hobby.

Research will save you a ton of money and hopefully save livestock and assist in allowing other hobbyist to assist you in the future.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forty five dollars that could go to a light, just saying.

It's not about the price it's about doing the best to keep those creatures you have purchased alive and thriving. If you do not even know what it is how can you care for it?

From the Terms of Service.

Ethical fishkeeping:

The owners of Reef2Reef adhere to certain standards of ethical fish keeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

We want everyone to enjoy this wonderful hobby and we encourage members to seek assistance first and foremost, but you have meet us at least some of the way.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I got told wrong I information at my lfs. And came here to seek advice and all you really have done is attack me about it now your quoting the guidelines... is this a joke you've done nothing to actually help you've just ridiculed me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back