What Kinds of P Sources do LC and GFO Bind?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody happen to know what types of phosphates and other phosphorous sources that either GFO and LC bind?

The reason that I am asking is that people have had coral issues* using GFO, but not so much LC. I know that ortho binds to both. I have a theory that GFO might bind more types of phosphates, including metaphosphate and maybe even some organically bound phosphorous where as LC mostly/only binds orthophosphate. If this is right, then LC leaves other types behind for the corals to utilize and thus reduce stress?

I have tried to search the web for this and found almost nothing. I found a source in some other language that indicated that LC can bind to one end (?) of meta/poly and then it can break that bind and leaves the rest of the poly/meta behind. I have no idea if any of this is true, or not.

In any case, since there is no way for me to test this, I was was wondering anybody has a guess just based on the chemistry of things.

* I know about some fish issues with raw LC dosing and I am not talking about those.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO will be most effective at binding inorganic phosphate. Some organic forms will bind and some will not.

I expect lanthanum only effectively precipitates inorganic phosphate.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO will be most effective at binding inorganic phosphate. Some organic forms will bind and some will not.

I expect lanthanum only effectively precipitates inorganic phosphate.
I feel so much better (less dumb) using both forms (LC & GFO) at the same time….so I will continue…
.thanks Randy

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody happen to know what types of phosphates and other phosphorous sources that either GFO and LC bind?

The reason that I am asking is that people have had coral issues* using GFO, but not so much LC. I know that ortho binds to both. I have a theory that GFO might bind more types of phosphates, including metaphosphate and maybe even some organically bound phosphorous where as LC mostly/only binds orthophosphate. If this is right, then LC leaves other types behind for the corals to utilize and thus reduce stress?

I have tried to search the web for this and found almost nothing. I found a source in some other language that indicated that LC can bind to one end (?) of meta/poly and then it can break that bind and leaves the rest of the poly/meta behind. I have no idea if any of this is true, or not.

In any case, since there is no way for me to test this, I was was wondering anybody has a guess just based on the chemistry of things.

* I know about some fish issues with raw LC dosing and I am not talking about those.
GFO might be binding other ions and molecules important to coral, This would be most apparent for a regular user of GFO.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I asked similar questions, and received some info in the thread below. Hope it helps.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back