What LED for Actinic Supplement! Halide and LED Married together!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter if your a newbie , obviuosly working for you. ;) I was more thinking T5 supplements. Thanks for the info :)

Here is a novice video of the tank . Nota great one but still shows you colors.
In my limited experience , light is only a small fraction of the puzzle - almost like 3rd in my priority list - water chemistry and flow being 1 and 2.
Somehow I feel we can never match the flow in ocean - best we can do is to come like 10% close.
I run a lot of flow by today's standard - 1 Tunze 6105, 2 Tunzes 6095, 1 Tunze 6055, 1 Tunze 6040 and a gyre in a 30 in x 30 in x 18 in tank .

Talking to Austin and Jason and many successful acro keepers , I realised how we underestimate flow. Honestly if my fishes do not get pinned sometimes, I dont have enough flow. That matters more than adding supplements to halides :) But its my way of reefing . Not saying it will work for everyone.

Regards,
Abhishek

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what?
If there are people that want me go go from this forum, please post, so I know who you are.
Based on that I can actually go away for good! What do you think? Is that fair?
Call your friends!
Let's see who will post!
Grandis.

tumblr_inline_o3tshcexI81rob5eu_400.gif

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have developed a nice friendship with many here and love all you guys, independent of any harsh discords.
Decided to give it a time. It is very hard for me to leave, but I do feel it's time.
Will be contacting some of you in case I can come visit in the future!
No hard feelings at all, believe me.
Have a great time.
Aloha,
Grandis.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi kids!

Let's be civil here, no need to jump down each others throats over something as trivial as what shape bulbs you like to run over your tank. Some like long skinny ones, others like short fat ones, And some prefer tiny dots, but they all do the same thing, grow corals and take paper out of our pockets.

No more accusations that have nothing to do with anything here, no more arguing over nothing. Let's all enjoy the hobby and have great discussion about it. And let's all realize that not everyone is going to agree with what you have to say.

Peace out!

George
Team R2R

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you dont need actinic supplementation to color up your acroporas. @Centerline convinced me to use Geissemann 17.5K 250 watt crystal and i convinced @Charterreefer to do the same.

Here are some pics , OP can be the judge :-

Sanjays Lep .jpg

lengsy.jpg

BC Glowstick.JPG

oregon tort.JPG

Hawkins_Echinata.jpg

suharsonai.jpg

Regards,
Abhishek

Ummm.. never mind - just found the answer in your post above ;)
------------------- Crap generated by not reading the thread--------------
Those are beautiful. Are you using any T5s or LEDs as supplemental or for late night viewing?
-------------------End Crap generated by not reading the thread--------------

Last edited:

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No supplements ! Just 10 hours of halide lights from 10 am - 8 pm . Honestly, I don't believe you need led supplements unless you wanna see extreme fluroscence at night. I attached 2 reefbrite strips as wife likes to see fluroscence at night but they come on at 8 pm and runs for only 2 hours .

But am just a newbie . So please take my experience with a pinch of salt . Am just a kid trying to learn, grow an acropora only tank and enjoy reefing :)

Regards,
Abhishek
Well you have done a fine job so far. The polyp extension on that Orange Passion is fantastic. Everything looks very healthy and it appears you have some serious flow going as to. Well done man!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have developed a nice friendship with many here and love all you guys, independent of any harsh discords.
Decided to give it a time. It is very hard for me to leave, but I do feel it's time.
Will be contacting some of you in case I can come visit in the future!
No hard feelings at all, believe me.
Have a great time.
Aloha,
Grandis.
No need to go anywhere Man. If it wasn't for discourse there would be no advancement. Plus no one else helps me when I get into LED vrs MH arguments! And you will miss my "Radion vrs Radium" thread that's just about ready to get going (as soon as I can figure out how to use the OO Spectrometer I scored). You really don't want to miss that man ;)

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm excited for that thread. That should be interesting.
Ya, it should be. The whole point it to show that all things being equal the Radion will grow coral just as well as the Radium. I scored a Spectrometer to tune the Radion (Gen4 Pro) with and after adding a diffuser I'm even more confident. I was a strait up LED HATER and after getting some advise from @saltyfilmfolks had some outstanding results (until the tank got killed by hurricane Irma).
20170707_162943.jpg

Little tank just didn't have enough time to fully flush out.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got good info from previous posts. To the OP, don't get sucked into the led are not good for your tank nonsense. Sometimes personal opinions can drown out real data and proof.
I'm with you on this one. As you know I've used all variations of lighting and each has its own pros vs cons. As I liked my MH and T5's, I think now that I am running all LED, I have one tank that will show you proof by pictures and not data.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you have done a fine job so far. The polyp extension on that Orange Passion is fantastic. Everything looks very healthy and it appears you have some serious flow going as to. Well done man!

Thanks man ! Well am following your thread closely on the radions though .Someday when I gain more experience I might flip lol !!

That's a BC Glowstick in my tank - not Orange Passion . I would love one but it's not cheap and I refuse to pay so high for a tenuis lol !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. .... now that this thread is back on track ... I ran a 250w radium on hqi setting and wasn't a fan. It was too blue. I don't mind the extra equipment as it will allow for dusk dawn and moon light. I also want to have the pop and ability to tune the color.
IMO The reef brite along with the 175000K Megachrome would be a nice combo. There's something about the 454um wavelength on the reef brites! It makes corals fluoresce like no other. Actinics (420 um) make corals fluoresce a bit differently. I used the reefbrites before and after the MH goes off for the (really cool) fluorescence effect they provide.
The reefbrite reflector design utilizes the leds to the max, giving a lot of light and more importantly strong penetration needed in the deeper tanks.

Back