What LED for Actinic Supplement! Halide and LED Married together!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any of those charts your tired of to prove your statement that the reefbrite strip offers no par or coral growth? You say it just for Looks?
Do you have charts to prove me wrong?
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This:
If looks are your concern, then no matter what you add, you will not likely see any difference when the Halide is on. They can be fine for some blacklight (LEDs) or dusk/dawn. You will need to choose a bulb that is the color that you like. If 20K radium is too blue, then let us know which ballast that you have (electronic or magnetic) and you could get some suggestions. Gisemann as a 17.5k that is bluer than 14K, but not as much as Radium. 14K or 20k Hamilton have different looks depending on the ballast.

If you chief concern is PAR, then go with a pair of 250W Halides and forgo the LEDs or T5s. Compared to a 400W Halide, a 4xT5 setup or some blue LEDs are like throwing a baseball at a school bus. 400W Halide and 100W of T5s is roughly the same 500W for 2x 250w... bulbs are similar to replace.

If coloration is your concern, then I would get a 20K MH and use 6500K (or some other daylight) T5 bulbs for the PAR and spectrum that will bring out lots of colors.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this too:
I have taken PAR readings from a 24" XHO Reefbrite and the par at 6" was less than 50. The distribution was pretty even over the 24". This was a few years ago and perhaps the models have changed. It is not a lot of PAR from what I measured... not nothing, though, either.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides, like I've said billion times here... PAR isn't everything...
There will be much bigger advantages using T5s than those LEDs in question.
But hey... it's just my opinion. Take it or leave it! Right?
C'mon...
Grandis.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have charts to prove me wrong?
Grandis.
The fact that you want to argue is not of an intrest. We're here to help newcomers with lighting and not post blanket statements with your hate for led lighting @A. grandis. You made a comment and I just wanted to see if you could back it up. No worries though, happy reefing.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you want to argue is not of an intrest. We're here to help newcomers with lighting and not post blanket statements with your hate for led lighting @A. grandis. You made a comment and I just wanted to see if you could back it up. No worries though, happy reefing.
No, you are the one trying to argue here! I'm trying to ignore your provoking posts and you are persisting every day, my friend.
Lets stop this nonsense and post our OPINIONS without having this type of thing going on, please!
Charts please, charts please... blah blah blah! LOL!
Those LEDs aren't better than ATI Blue Plus bulbs, period!
And you know that!
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and to compare those with VHOs? Are you kidding me?!?!?
The spectrum could look like, but not the other qualities!
I don't know... it must be a joke!
Grandis.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you are the one trying to argue here! I'm trying to ignore your provoking posts and you are persisting every day, my friend.
Lets stop this nonsense and post our OPINIONS without having this type of thing going on, please!
And you know that!
Grandis.
Whoa man, I asked you a simple question for a statement you made. You post videos but tell everyone your tired of charts? No one was rude or picking on you.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you know that!
Grandis.

OMG! Will you ever give up hating on LEDs, rhetorical.

You are the worst.

Just post your own opinion, because that’s all you have. No facts.

Let other have their opinion.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your charts and graphics on your coffee tables and watch your LED flashlights over your tanks, please.
Everyone here sees the subject differently and should be allowed to post their opinions.
That's all! There is no hate. I actually think some of you guys hate me and the halides/T5s, to tell the truth.
Many others have posted worse comments than I do against the LED wagon and you guys didn't go after them.
It's probably my signature. LOL!
Every time I see a LED fixture for aquariums I can't understand what the deal is. Really?!?
Now... go play with the lightning feature! LOL!
lightning-storm-in-blue-sky_1639-301.jpg

Grandis.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your charts and graphics on your coffee tables and watch your LED flashlights over your tanks, please.
Everyone here sees the subject differently and should be allowed to post their opinions.
That's all! There is no hate. I actually think some of you guys hate me and the halides/T5s, to tell the truth.
Many others have posted worse comments than I do against the LED wagon and you guys didn't go after them.
It's probably my signature. LOL!
Every time I see a LED fixture for aquariums I can't understand what the deal is. Really?!?
Now... go play with the lightning feature! LOL!
lightning-storm-in-blue-sky_1639-301.jpg

Grandis.
You can keep your videos on your phone. People just asked questions and whenever someone tries to decipher your rhetoric or just asks for proof you get so defensive? You say everyone can have an opinion but if thst opinion includes leds you jave a problem with that? You contradict continuously which again clouds possible good information you can share. I run halide and T5 by the way but I'm not biased like yourself and realize there are so many great options of lighting a reef tank. Maybe people are just sick of you bashing led lighting or whenever someone suggests led lighting? Can't we just try to help others without saying led lighting can't grow coral or leds are bad for the tank? You result to insults now calling another member a child? At least no one posted a review about a fixture they never used on a popular suppliers website... I'm done responding to you @A. grandis, I was hoping open minds would prevail.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't you just gave your opinions like I did?
I don't go against the members like you did to me starting on post 17!
You can't proof anything against my post and still want to me use data?
Not cool! You're wrong, boy!
That is strictly provoking!
I could come after all LED people here and try to do that but I don't think that's any good for any of us.
We're supposed to be friends!
I guess you don't have dog friends if you like cats then. Not the way I think!
Some of the best guys here are big time pro LEDs and I appreciate their friendship. They respect me and I respect them!
I hope we can understand each other that way from now on!!!
Grandis.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what?
If there are people that want me go go from this forum, please post, so I know who you are.
Based on that I can actually go away for good! What do you think? Is that fair?
Call your friends!
Let's see who will post!
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very first post was about an addition of PAR to a halide system.
At one point I simply said that the ATI Blue Plus will give him more PAR than the XHO Leds.
I don't think it's a matter of "encouragement using the lights of their choice" but answering:
I would like to add some supplemental light to assist in par and coloration of sps.
My opinion was there for him to jump on. Others have stated aggressively opposed to LEDs and nothing happens. I never encouraged them either.
Not cool!
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here:
You've got good info from previous posts. To the OP, don't get sucked into the led are not good for your tank nonsense. Sometimes personal opinions can drown out real data and proof.

Do you have any of those charts your tired of to prove your statement that the reefbrite strip offers no par or coral growth? You say it just for Looks?

I have taken PAR readings from a 24" XHO Reefbrite and the par at 6" was less than 50. The distribution was pretty even over the 24". This was a few years ago and perhaps the models have changed. It is not a lot of PAR from what I measured... not nothing, though, either.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 124 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back