What lessons have your aquascape taught you?

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in hearing about any lessons your current/previous aquascapes have taught you, or what you would change if you could go back in time!

I’ll start—
B7709399-A436-410C-9020-C92AFA04ED98.jpeg

82C68CD7-F8A9-4772-9C4F-3FFEF760C012.jpeg

My 40g is my second tank and first true aquascaping attempt (pile of live rock in first build). With this scape, I grossly underestimated the room corals need and left ~3-4” of space between glass and rock. Looks great empty, but not taking into account fully grown-in coral size means I almost always knock some off and angry zoas when doing maintenance. And that sucks.

If I could go back, I would’ve paid more attention to shadowing—the left side has stayed empty because of serious shadowing from the large pillar. Wish I paid attention to that in the tank prior to committing as my coral choices are sadly quite limited there now.

Recently added rubble pieces on the top ledge and arch and it’s really made the difference with this tank. My aquascape had very flat areas, making the corals look a bit one-dimensional when placed together. Looking back, I think my initial scape was too cut-and-dry, adding little pieces of rubble here and there makes the aquascape look much more visually interesting.

21170882-0D8B-413B-B436-C71C5622551C.jpeg

6CE9508A-96B2-413B-9010-0D72786EC622.jpeg

9301B4F2-34D9-4897-87D8-F5D2936AD423.jpeg

With my new 220g, tried to apply those lessons and quite happy with the results. Paid a lot of attention to shadowing because wanted to give each coral “the best spot in the tank”. But this was challenging because as a newbie to large aquascaping it was hard to create height while also avoiding sharp slopes. To avoid that, focused on the transitions between heights more and made sure the slopes (?) were drawn out.

Another challenge was leaving enough room for future colonies at the top of the scape with enough space between the coral and waterline. Creating a wooden stake showing the height limit helped a LOT when building!

What are the lessons you’ve learned from your aquascapes? Hopefully I can learn some new techniques!

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with don't build too high. Don't mind the shadowing you can put some lower light stuff there. This was one of my earlier ones. I guess the most important thing is use the right glues, take your time, and make sure you like it.

Attachments

• 20160615_062700.jpg
    20160615_062700.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 191

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are beautiful.
But
The purpose of my aquascape is to let the fish that is the size of a salad plate escape the fish that is the size of a dinner plate when it gets snitty. Also everyone needs a place to sleep at night.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me...

1. Don't aquascape so high and give room for corals to grow.

2. Leave room behind the rock to scrape the glass or at least access the sane behind the rock work.

3. Less is more when it comes to rock.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are beautiful.
But
The purpose of my aquascape is to let the fish that is the size of a salad plate escape the fish that is the size of a dinner plate when it gets snitty. Also everyone needs a place to sleep at night.

I get the concern, the aquascape no doubt limits the types of fish I can keep and the timeline for adding them. But as the corals fill in it will look like a completely different tank. I’m not much a fish person at all so the patience and choices doesn’t bother me, although I do have to keep the bioload in check meanwhile.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending a full day working and reworking my aquascape. Making macro adjustments here and there. Completely removing all the rock and remaking it again and again. In the end it still just looks like a pile of rocks....

I spent 2 1/2 months on my 220g just because I had to step away from it for a few days every time I worked on it. Aquascaping drives you crazy haha. I think fresh eyes and being in the mood to aquascape does make a big difference!

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learned a person really should spend a month aquascaping and make use of all the modern tricks (acrylic rods, proper coral cements).
Definitely! I said in a
I'm mostly happy with my setup, but I definitely would not have made the tower so tall on the left.

20210218_191112~2.jpg

That could be an easy fix with how it’s set up actually! Could add a small rock to even out the slope.

Attachments

• 773F202E-9F21-4D28-9CE1-759D42626B26.jpeg
    773F202E-9F21-4D28-9CE1-759D42626B26.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 157

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! I said in a

That could be an easy fix with how it’s set up actually! Could add a small rock to even out the slope.
That's a cave on the front left. It sits about8 inches in front of the devils tower. I really wish the tower wasn't so close to the water line. It gets about 380 par up there.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you like it. Doesn't mean your fish do.

Edit: in other words, they may want more grazing rocks. More arches, more rock piles. Corals just want light, flow and food.

I replied to another response about this but I get the concern, I just don’t like fish haha. Bit odd in that respect! When the corals fill in the tank will look completely different and will work for smaller guys as long as I manage the bioload.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learned a person really should spend a month aquascaping and make use of all the modern tricks (acrylic rods, proper coral cements).
I completely agree! Taking your time is important because it can get so frustrating I always have to step away for a bit. Fresh eyes makes you spot things that you would otherwise miss! Did a lot of that with my 40g scape

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back