What lighting for a 75g display tank

Hi,

I will have my 75g tank mid September so I need now to choose all the material.

In freshwater, I remembered we needed to respect a ration W/g but I didn’t find anything for saltwater.

What models do you advise me? Redsea 90/115, Maxspect, Popbloom?
I need something to put with arm on the tank.
I saw some Maxspect Ethereal 130W but I read somewhere they stop producing them?

To answer this question accurately, you need to provide the footprint of the tank (LxW) and also the depth of the tank.

When considering lighting for a tank, there are two things that are important; power and spread. it isn't enough to light the tank, but to light it with proper power at the bottom of the tank.
 
90x60x55 cm

So the tank is 55 cm deep.

This means your lighting needs to provide ample power (PAR) at the bottom of the tank. The last time I measured, I have a PAR of 120 at the bottom of my tank.

I use AI Hydra 32s which provide a 24" x 24" spread at a tank height of 19 inches. Two of those should do the job, but, do your homework!
 
I’ve used both the 165 watt Viparspectra and the Willis (each was $100) running 5 years now.

Very simple lights….on/off….dimmer blue and white. No ramps, clouds, lightning or dusk. Just light.

I don’t buy into that no more. Crazy expensive stuff which is over saltwater!

Grows anything. $200 Canadian…Amazon…
IMG_0115.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I’ve used both the 165 watt Viparspectra and the Willis (each was $100) running 5 years now.

Very simple lights….on/off….dimmer blue and white. No ramps, clouds, lightning or dusk. Just light.

I don’t buy into that no more. Crazy expensive stuff which is over saltwater!

Grows anything. $200 Canadian…Amazon…
IMG_0115.jpeg
Nice tank!
Good option but my geek side want to control my tank with my phone!
And I’m often not home for one week so I prefer to have the possibility to check everything.
 
90x60x55 cm

So the tank is 55 cm deep.

This means your lighting needs to provide ample power (PAR) at the bottom of the tank. The last time I measured, I have a PAR of 120 at the bottom of my tank.

I use AI Hydra 32s which provide a 24" x 24" spread at a tank height of 19 inches. Two of those should do the job, but, do your homework!
When I read the technical specifity of each light, they all say to have a good PAR at the bottom.
I’m trying also to understand how it work.
Between the Hydra 32 and some other half the price, they seem to do the same work but maybe I misunderstood something
 
I will begin with something easy.
I just don’t want to need to buy new light in 1 year if I need more power!
I agree, I was thinking about two light for more coverage.

The A8se II Max seem really powerfull (difference between the max and the blue?)
Do you have any, the app is easy to use?

Edit: what I have difficulty to understand it is how some light cheap like this one (237€) can be good or better compare to something around 5-600€.
And how to determine the number of watt I need
Max is more white and blue is more blue. Just a preference.
I have 2 a8se on order and running a xr15 and ai Blade now(will be selling the xr15) . I bought in on the big brands aswell at the start, but now I’m reconsidering. Last years there has been a lot of high quality equipment releases from china which(in my opinion) really put the big brands to shame. I see there are a lot of people posting different stuff, which makes it only harder I can imagine. Just buy what you like, the benefit of buying the big brands, (ai, ecotech) is that you can sell it for 2/3 of the price easy. On the contrary it is also good to buy them second hand.

About the price Difference, china brands copy what the big brands invented, the big brands invested in r&d which china brands don’t have to. Thus the price difference. A 500€,- brand light is still a box of plastic with some china leds
 
When I read the technical specifity of each light, they all say to have a good PAR at the bottom.

That's an ambiguous statement. What do they consider "good PAR"? Good PAR at what depth?

I mention the Hydra 32 because that is what I have. If I could do it all over, I wouldn't use Hydras again. Yes, they are expensive (I paid $459.00 ea. from BRS). I'm sure that there are black box alternatives that will do the job just as well.

I don't have experience in black box, so I can't comment on them.
 
That's really pretty man. Love this. Tastefully done.
Those lights are great I hear. I mean for the money, you can't beat it.
I paid way too much for my lights. I mean, I'll admit it.
I’ve used both the 165 watt Viparspectra and the Willis (each was $100) running 5 years now.

Very simple lights….on/off….dimmer blue and white. No ramps, clouds, lightning or dusk. Just light.

I don’t buy into that no more. Crazy expensive stuff which is over saltwater!

Grows anything. $200 Canadian…Amazon…
IMG_0115.jpeg
 
That's really pretty man. Love this. Tastefully done.
Those lights are great I hear. I mean for the money, you can't beat it.
I paid way too much for my lights. I mean, I'll admit it.
They are not 165 watts.
Actual wattage is 110- ish
So about 55w blue, 55 watts not blue.
 
They are not 165 watts.
Actual wattage is 110- ish
So about 55w blue, 55 watts not blue.
It doesnt seem to be hurting his tank.
My ATI Straton Pro 102 is 165 watts, but I paid 1200 dollars for it! ;)

I see lots of variations and different names for generally the same things.
This one is interesting too. I like to look through this stuff.

Amazon product ASIN B09QKVXMR6
 
When I read the technical specifity of each light, they all say to have a good PAR at the bottom.

That's an ambiguous statement. What do they consider "good PAR"? Good PAR at what depth?

I mention the Hydra 32 because that is what I have. If I could do it all over, I wouldn't use Hydras again. Yes, they are expensive (I paid $459.00 ea. from BRS). I'm sure that there are black box alternatives that will do the job just as well.

I don't have experience in black box, so I can't comment on them.
For exemple for Maxspect Jump and Popbloom


20250807_101513_323F36D1-D8C2-4DE6-AC59-A149D65EA52C.png


20250807_101513_6C128C26-8FA8-43CA-B9E9-5B559BB19778.png
 
That's really pretty man. Love this. Tastefully done.
Those lights are great I hear. I mean for the money, you can't beat it.
I paid way too much for my lights. I mean, I'll admit it.
Thank you so much for that!

I had to keep the budget down, this hobby can get very expensive.

This is 3 years growth of a 1” loom under the $100 light.
IMG_1112.jpeg
 
6 noopsyche K7 V3 over this 72x24x24" 180g.
I was getting 300 par on the bottom left sand bed where I had clams.

PXL_20240222_233233684.jpg


This acro grew on the back wall from a little frag and the monti caps grew from small pieces.

PXL_20240304_160823705~2.jpg


image.jpg


The app isn't the greatest but I don't find myself changing lighting very often once I get them set up

The meridian @VintageReefer suggested is a good single light solution. I have an 11 over my 20g and run photons over my SPS tank which is doing well. The Meridian is reefbreeders new light that replaces the photon or I'd recommend them.
 
Just my opinion, don’t rule out the Nicrew just due to lack of wifi ability. It is a really good light for the money. You aren’t going to be making lighting adjustments without being in front of the tank anyway. If you want WiFi just to be able to turn it on or off for some reason, you can plug it into a wifi switch
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new