What made you realize you love the salt water aquarium hobby

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There comes a point with almost everyone in this hobby where we start to realize, "I love this hobby and what I do in it". I am wondering what was the moment that made you fall in love with the salt water aquarium hobby! For me, it is when I finally got to set up my tank and got to watch it go from just an empty glass container to a container that has life in it.
I started the hobby about 2 and a half years ago when I was 12. I have always loved the ocean and am fascinated by the biodiversity and ecology that happens in such a small area. I really want to be a marine biologist when I grow up but there's not a ton with the ocean I can currently do. My aquarium provides me with so much knowledge, understanding, and experience of the ocean that I wouldn't normally be able to get. Its hard as a kid to keep a reef tank as it goes a lot slower with financial restrictions. I have paid for my entire tank on my own, doing about 400-500 hours of manual labor for something I love so much. The ecosystem part of the hobby is what really got me into the hobby though. I am just fascinated by how there is so much going (cycles, corals, symbiosis, CUC, etc) on in something in my room.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the hobby about 2 and a half years ago when I was 12. I have always loved the ocean and am fascinated by the biodiversity and ecology that happens in such a small area. I really want to be a marine biologist when I grow up but there's not a ton with the ocean I can currently do. My aquarium provides me with so much knowledge, understanding, and experience of the ocean that I wouldn't normally be able to get. Its hard as a kid to keep a reef tank as it goes a lot slower with financial restrictions. I have paid for my entire tank on my own, doing about 400-500 hours of manual labor for something I love so much. The ecosystem part of the hobby is what really got me into the hobby though. I am just fascinated by how there is so much going (cycles, corals, symbiosis, CUC, etc) on in something in my room.
Hey, good for you having your own tank and putting in the time to something you love!

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bred Killifish, cichlids and bettas and said ok what's next? Have never said that about the saltwater hobby.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back