What makes a monti pale?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ds04384
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Montipora will fade and have greyish tint if its a mag issue. OP your pics is not super great but from what I can tell it looks like a light issue. Paling from too much light. Could you give us some info on the lighting on the 2 tanks?

At what levels (magnesium) do you believe this happens?
 
In my experience when my Mg gets in the low, 1200s my montis do it.
 
I've had good old orange monti for years and only recently it became pale, like very pale. and I just recently checked mag and it is 1200, so maybe that's why.
 
Try testing your potassium
 
5152f09746fb73ec6e46fe75bc105921.jpg


Getting ready to raise it a bit
 
Magnesium levels of 1350ppm arent an issue.
 
I tested a fresh batch of reef crystal sw mix, and mg was 1200. I thought I might have scooped a little too much of the powder of the salifert mg test, and the initial color was darker blue. So that could be why the test reading is low. I tested my tank water after water change, and got 1260, and the initial blue color was not quite as dark as the previous test. so it seems the accuracy of the test depends on how accurate I scoop a level scoop of the mg powder. In any case, I went for a Target run and got epsom salt for like $2.59 for a 4lbs bag. I'll try to raise mg to 1350.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new