What makes a tank a mixed reef?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan was to have a stony coral tank. I planned to have only sps and clams.

I have 5 LPS corals I have 7 LPS corals and probably about 15 sps frags, 4 tridacna clams…and a sebae anemone.

Is my tank considered a mixed reef now?

This question is only for fun!

Edit: If you think my tank is a mixed reef, what was the kicker? The LPS? The clams? The anemone?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you said yes to being a mixed reef,

What was the kicker? I only added the anemone like 3 weeks ago,

Before the anemone, was the tank considered an SPS tank, or was it also a mixed reef? Did the tank only become considered a “mixed reef” because of the anemone?

Again, just for fun. I’m not gonna get rid of my anemone just because my tank is called a mixed reef lol.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First i thought I would class a mixed reef as mixing any of the 3 different type of corals like any 2 of softie/lps or sps then thought umm then there's anemones and clams like you mentioned then there's nps then stuff like zoas and mushrooms that get called softies but more related to anemones if not mistaken.
So yeah when have you got a mixed reef is good question ha ha.
Is it just by not having only one kind off coral or is it having 3 or 4 or 5 idk then do you include need to have mixture off cuc and fish and the likes.
Could go down rabbit hole all day long and get 1 million and 1 different opinions ha ha

I got few sps,softies,lps and zoas and mushrooms and I class mine as mixed reef for fwiw ^_^

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, softies, sps, lps, euphyllia etc. Basically when you have to fine tune the water for a bunch of corals that have different needs but can meet on the edges of what each other need to be successful. In other words..being a glutton for punishment. It's easy to taylor make a tank for corals that require the same care. This is what i think truly makes a tank mixed..not necessarily a set number of different corals.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back