What makes the Neptune APEX controller worth $799.00

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get my screen to show all these features- IF I knew how.
Go to the lock icon and click on it and then drag and drop!
EFC2D0ED-5C76-4768-84DE-4BC226BA07E3.jpeg

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an Apex on my tanks since 2012. The first unit was really good. Upgraded to the silver and orange in 2017 including some of the new additions that became available. I feel I might as well have just taken the money and burned it. Many people have had great success with their own. Not me, I’ve had to replace so many bits in the last two years. Had issues with customer services reps, may have been my frustrations. Looking to switch on my next build

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say the probes suck!!! Tried calibrating ph probe over a dozen times with 10 fluid... couldnt pass... 7 was fine, but couldnt get 10... Was so ticked about the ph probe taking so long and not successfully calibrating that I havent even done orp or salinity yet... heard horror stories about both... save that for when I have time... Not sure if I should give it a week or 2 and try to calibrate again or let marinedepot know about it so I dont get stuck with bad ph probe

livingcolors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't regret ever buying it! While you might not see the benefit at the moment, life has a way of changing. Having mine literally allowed me to take a new job two states away from my home. It took two months to get moved. I had a "non fishie" friend watching the tank for me and we were able to trouble shoot almost anything-including overfeeding at a distance. It isn't about the $799-it's about the functionality and the add-ons that allow you to customize. It's pricey, but so is the aquarium and the life in it.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a tank with or without it. I've found that I get out of mine what I put into it - mostly time spent learning the programming. A controller adds helpful redundancy but also a layer of intricacy - that added layer creates opportunity for error in my experience. User error can lead to quick disaster.

Personally, I don't have a need to control much away from home but I appreciate the text alerts when a parameter is outside norm, the ability to hit "feed mode" and know that my pumps will re-start in 5 min (avoiding the need to remember to start them manually which I have forgotten more than once), etc. The auto - feeders made vacation much easier. Programming my MP40s was easy with the WXM module. Etc.

A lot of people bash Neptune customer service but they have been great for me. If you want them to log into your system to help you with something you have to make an appt, like much else in life you might have to wait a day or two.

I'd spend the $800 again.

spifftempo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say the probes suck!!! Tried calibrating ph probe over a dozen times with 10 fluid... couldnt pass... 7 was fine, but couldnt get 10... Was so ****** about the ph probe taking so long and not successfully calibrating that I havent even done orp or salinity yet... heard horror stories about both... save that for when I have time... Not sure if I should give it a week or 2 and try to calibrate again or let marinedepot know about it so I dont get stuck with bad ph probe

@PerplexyHeyx that doesn't sound like normal operation. I would give Neptune Support a call or email to get to the bottom of it.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/contact-support/

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the fence for every reason that's been stated in this thread. I personally think the price is way too high for what is provided and my biggest issue is that the MAP pricing prevents any kind of discounts except for one time of the year. I too am surprised that the high price hasn't spurned any competition or equal quality open source development (are you listening Reef Pi people?).
That being said I will be buying an Apex at some point for the same reasons listed in this thread. I work out of town 5 days a week and I need the monitoring and automation that Apex is known for. After reading this thread I'm almost convinced to purchase the EL instead of the full but I absolutely hate the idea of having to spend $$ to make it comparable to a full version if needed. And (are you listening Neptune?) if they would only occasionally run a special or a temporary discount of even $50 off I would buy one today. Instead I'll probably wait until next November because I'm too danged cheap to pay full price and buying used is not an option for me.

Sad to hear about how dismal the DOS pumps are....if I was to shell out the $800 I would surely want all of the integrated products as well. And you can't beat the Tunze ATO so I that's one component I won't be adding.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the fence for every reason that's been stated in this thread. I personally think the price is way too high for what is provided and my biggest issue is that the MAP pricing prevents any kind of discounts except for one time of the year. I too am surprised that the high price hasn't spurned any competition or equal quality open source development (are you listening Reef Pi people?).
That being said I will be buying an Apex at some point for the same reasons listed in this thread. I work out of town 5 days a week and I need the monitoring and automation that Apex is known for. After reading this thread I'm almost convinced to purchase the EL instead of the full but I absolutely hate the idea of having to spend $$ to make it comparable to a full version if needed. And (are you listening Neptune?) if they would only occasionally run a special or a temporary discount of even $50 off I would buy one today. Instead I'll probably wait until next November because I'm too danged cheap to pay full price and buying used is not an option for me.

Sad to hear about how dismal the DOS pumps are....if I was to shell out the $800 I would surely want all of the integrated products as well. And you can't beat the Tunze ATO so I that's one component I won't be adding.
I have never had a problem with Neptune systems products. I have heard about the DOS failure, but it is easily fixable (and Neptune will fix it under warranty for free)
I have 2 DOS and I havent had any issues!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem with Neptune systems products. I have heard about the DOS failure, but it is easily fixable (and Neptune will fix it under warranty for free)
I have 2 DOS and I havent had any issues!
If you look at neptune apex beyond typical outlet on off, there are many frequent problems. Their ATK lock up, their probes accuracy and drift, their flow meters wrong readings, their FMM and solniod lock ups,l...the list goes on and on.
I do not get the argument that since Neptune customer support is good then it should be ok. Any of the existing problems can lead to a catastrophic failures in the tank.
So again, as an on off outlet they are reliable and unwise them. But I have stopped spending money on anything else hoping that it will be diffrent.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at neptune apex beyond typical outlet on off, there are many frequent problems. Their ATK lock up, their probes accuracy and drift, their flow meters wrong readings, their FMM and solniod lock ups,l...the list goes on and on.
I do not get the argument that since Neptune customer support is good then it should be ok. Any of the existing problems can lead to a catastrophic failures in the tank.
So again, as an on off outlet they are reliable and unwise them. But I have stopped spending money on anything else hoping that it will be diffrent.
I still have to disagree.
The probes are great, if you are diligent and calibrate them. (You have to calibrate pretty much all probes in the hobby, this is not just a Neptune problem)
I have the flow meters (They work fine for me)
I also have the solenoid x3. Never had an issue with any of them.
If you are just here to bash Neptune, without actually having their products and or had problems with their products, I feel that you should stay out of the argument.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want 100% accuracy then the system would cost 10x as much. We’re not dealing with professional equipment here. But it’s as close to professional as you can get.

Today the Apex saved my tank. I have a Teco chiller which has an inbuilt heater as well. Well yesterday I turned off my 80W UV Sterilizer which basically works as a heater for my tank. This morning I look at the Apex dashboard and my sump temperature is 1 degree lower than it should be. I have two temperature probes and can see my display is equally low. I take a look at my chiller screen and it says the water is 78 degrees. Now because I have two temperature probes telling me the water is in fact 77, I knew something was wrong with the chiller. Turned it off and back on, and viola, now the chiller reads 77. For some reason my chiller thermostat was stuck on 78 and would have never kicked the heater on.

About two months ago, I had a vinyl tube from the pump that feeds the chiller and UV Sterilizer pop off and it spewed about a gallon of water outside the tank, getting my leak sensor wet and the apex turned off the pump. If I didn’t have the Apex, it would have emptied 40+ gallons of water onto my living room floor.

This is why it’s worth $800. It has saved me thousands over and over again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Love the Apex line. Must agree, they HAVE TO improve and do something with the probes especially false salinity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You can run a tank with or without it. I've found that I get out of mine what I put into it - mostly time spent learning the programming. A controller adds helpful redundancy but also a layer of intricacy - that added layer creates opportunity for error in my experience. User error can lead to quick disaster.

Personally, I don't have a need to control much away from home but I appreciate the text alerts when a parameter is outside norm, the ability to hit "feed mode" and know that my pumps will re-start in 5 min (avoiding the need to remember to start them manually which I have forgotten more than once), etc. The auto - feeders made vacation much easier. Programming my MP40s was easy with the WXM module. Etc.

A lot of people bash Neptune customer service but they have been great for me. If you want them to log into your system to help you with something you have to make an appt, like much else in life you might have to wait a day or two.

I'd spend the $800 again.

Its the customer service why I am using Apex system today.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Apex line. Must agree, they HAVE TO improve and do something with the probes especially false salinity.
Correct, i as well love my apex, but am being honest here and making sure i quantify what i like about it...on off outlets.
All these fancy dash boards and fusion readings are worthless if these reading are not accurate and if every now and there something fail.
At the end of the day this hobby is about the animals and their health, dash board and apex good customer support will not bring back a coral that dies because ATO fail.
We as customers should hold vendors to high standards that's all.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want 100% accuracy then the system would cost 10x as much. We’re not dealing with professional equipment here. But it’s as close to professional as you can get.

Today the Apex saved my tank. I have a Teco chiller which has an inbuilt heater as well. Well yesterday I turned off my 80W UV Sterilizer which basically works as a heater for my tank. This morning I look at the Apex dashboard and my sump temperature is 1 degree lower than it should be. I have two temperature probes and can see my display is equally low. I take a look at my chiller screen and it says the water is 78 degrees. Now because I have two temperature probes telling me the water is in fact 77, I knew something was wrong with the chiller. Turned it off and back on, and viola, now the chiller reads 77. For some reason my chiller thermostat was stuck on 78 and would have never kicked the heater on.

About two months ago, I had a vinyl tube from the pump that feeds the chiller and UV Sterilizer pop off and it spewed about a gallon of water outside the tank, getting my leak sensor wet and the apex turned off the pump. If I didn’t have the Apex, it would have emptied 40+ gallons of water onto my living room floor.

This is why it’s worth $800. It has saved me thousands over and over again.
Not really and here is an example:
Instead of spending 1200 upgrading my apex to add trident, I got a khg that is stand alone. 400$ i have rock solid kh and CA... 800$ saved
Instead if buying atk and fmm modules(which I made the mistake of buying just to throw them away) I use traditional 2 float ATO...150$ saved.

Instead of buying wxm and AI control module that you use once and that's all. I control my current AI via their native app and used to control my kessil via their native app s well...200$ saved

Instrad of buying their doser and deal with the vast problems that their 2 head doser have, I got top of the line 4 heads doser...400$ saved.
I can go on and on.
Finally the 800$ you are quoting is conpletly misleading. No one end up spending 800$ only, this 800 is for basic functions. Calculate the total cost for apex, 2 dosers, trident, add in modules and then let's see how much you have.
That's the cycle I broke on my case, I stopped investing only in neptune and end up getting trapped in a bubble where its harder for me to get out off. There are alot of high end equipment out there that are worth the imvestment...neptune is not there yet.
Again, we can defend what we like and look at them blindly or we can take unbiased stand and talk about the good and bad.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw my khg read more accurate ph than neptune prob ever did(using neptune for years and went through countless probs)
Just saying.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example of apex salinitybprob. This is 4 months old, the 35 point is the day I calibrated...observe the drift.
That's why I use apex prob as a relative measurment not absolut. A way to see of an event happened.
I know so many reefers I am included kept chasing to correct issues in neptune and end up spending more and more, or ripping off things and putting it together. Who here do not relate to what am saying..
The hobby is about having great tank not great wires lol.
821d17083b970d3ae88110cbd27ee54d.jpg

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really and here is an example:
Instead of spending 1200 upgrading my apex to add trident, I got a khg that is stand alone. 400$ i have rock solid kh and CA... 800$ saved
Instead if buying atk and fmm modules(which I made the mistake of buying just to throw them away) I use traditional 2 float ATO...150$ saved.

Instead of buying wxm and AI control module that you use once and that's all. I control my current AI via their native app and used to control my kessil via their native app s well...200$ saved

Instrad of buying their doser and deal with the vast problems that their 2 head doser have, I got top of the line 4 heads doser...400$ saved.
I can go on and on.
Finally the 800$ you are quoting is conpletly misleading. No one end up spending 800$ only, this 800 is for basic functions. Calculate the total cost for apex, 2 dosers, trident, add in modules and then let's see how much you have.
That's the cycle I broke on my case, I stopped investing only in neptune and end up getting trapped in a bubble where its harder for me to get out off. There are alot of high end equipment out there that are worth the imvestment...neptune is not there yet.
Again, we can defend what we like and look at them blindly or we can take unbiased stand and talk about the good and bad.

I have the FMM, the ATK, two DOS units, two AFS(1 had to be replaced under warranty once and then repaired a second time, great support) the PMK(had to be repaired once), LDK and WXM modules. Breakout box with switches. I have the gyre interface modules to control my gyres as well. I haven’t had any other problems other than what I’ve stated above and my system was started with the Apex in October 2017 so it’s been a little over a year now. The WXM was installed in November when I added MP40’s to my system.

With the push of a button, I have a series of 10+ events that happen when I feed. It makes sure the food gets where it needs to be then cleans up when feeding time is over. If you are saying the Apex is only good for On/off outlets then you haven’t really programmed anything. I have an Alkatronic that sends it’s Alk reading to the Apex so the Apex can turn off my calcium reactor and feed pump when something is out of whack. With the different modules and the easy programming, the possibilities are endless with the Apex. Give me an example of another aquarium controller that can give you this many options? You can’t, because there are none.

I’m not saying you can’t run an aquarium without a controller. But in my experience, I will never run one without.z

And yes, the salinity probe is useless, but I don’t see anyone else trying to make a salinity probe that can give you remote readings.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the FMM, the ATK, two DOS units, two AFS(1 had to be replaced under warranty once and then repaired a second time, great support) the PMK(had to be repaired once), LDK and WXM modules. Breakout box with switches. I have the gyre interface modules to control my gyres as well. I haven’t had any other problems other than what I’ve stated above and my system was started with the Apex in October 2017 so it’s been a little over a year now. The WXM was installed in November when I added MP40’s to my system.

With the push of a button, I have a series of 10+ events that happen when I feed. It makes sure the food gets where it needs to be then cleans up when feeding time is over. If you are saying the Apex is only good for On/off outlets then you haven’t really programmed anything. I have an Alkatronic that sends it’s Alk reading to the Apex so the Apex can turn off my calcium reactor and feed pump when something is out of whack. With the different modules and the easy programming, the possibilities are endless with the Apex. Give me an example of another aquarium controller that can give you this many options? You can’t, because there are none.

I’m not saying you can’t run an aquarium without a controller. But in my experience, I will never run one without.z

And yes, the salinity probe is useless, but I don’t see anyone else trying to make a salinity probe that can give you remote readings.
Lucky you. You are one of the lucky ones..

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?19127-FMM-Locking-up

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?23602-FMM-locking-up

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-fmm-module-and-sv-1-solenoid-valve.376886/

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=544690&share_fid=1020&share_type=t

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UT...ource=android-browser&q=neptune+dose+problems

Not to minimize your experince or openion, Just saying:)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back