What motivates you in the hobby

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, I feel like we need motivation to do certain things in life. For me? I sometimes need motivation to get stuff around the house done regarding cleaning, haha. I am wondering, what keeps you motivated in this hobby? Make it is the drive to have a successful tank, to have something to do with your free time, or maybe it is seeing all the fish happy to be a part of your tank. Curious to know everyone's input!

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am motivated when I see my fish out and about - no one hiding and no bullies and my corals looking happy. I am especially motivated after a water and filter change and all parameters in check and ready to go to the LFS for something new to add.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be:
1. I just enjoy observing nature -- yeah, I know,,, this isn't really nature, but still
2. Fun for guests -- good conversations
3. When something unexpected starts happening, it's a learning experience
*for example, currently dealing with alkalinity rise with no dosing (((other threads covering potential sources and how to deal with ...so I keep learning stuff)))

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be:
1. I just enjoy observing nature -- yeah, I know,,, this isn't really nature, but still
2. Fun for guests -- good conversations
3. When something unexpected starts happening, it's a learning experience
*for example, currently dealing with alkalinity rise with no dosing (((other threads covering potential sources and how to deal with ...so I keep learning stuff)))
Sudden Increase or decrease of nitrates will affect alkalinity .

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m setting up a 380 gallon reef tank after being out of the hobby for 20 years. I’m getting back into reefing because I miss having a little slice of the ocean in my family room and observing all the fish, corals and inverts interacting with one another. Yes, it’s a lot of work but love the satisfaction and relaxation I get from sitting in front of it.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...last year I lost my 2-year-old son to a super rare mutation, literally, he was the only recorded case of this particular mutation in the world. I have had tanks for a long time, saltwater since 2002, but I stopped taking care of my tank when he was born, just not enough time. But I use to bring him down here to watch the fish swim, it helped him fall asleep. When the mutation destroyed his heart when he was in the hospital for 11 months, I just gave up on my tank, no time at all, but the fish and corals were doing fine. During his stay in the hospital, he loved watching Finding Nemo, and I always played a video of swimming fish with sleep music on Youtube for him. And he loved playing with water. When he passed away, I was just going to get rid of it all. I didn't want to do anything. But eventually, I have decided to start all over, get a new tank, equipment, and fish, as a sort of memorial at home for him. I am a broken person, but cleaning the tank, watching the fish, and helping others here, make things a bit easier. So I am motivated to do the best I can to make this tank healthy and beautiful.

Attachments

• eli.JPEG
    eli.JPEG
    173 KB · Views: 41

Sizzlingreef14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seeing one of my LFS’s bring in boxes of wild coral and shove it out the door same day. ticks my the F off. Just a quick buck and not caring about making the hobby sustainable and better for the hobbyists. It’s one thing to bring in wild corals to cultivate, but when it’s in and out same day/week you’re in it for the money. That’s why I love growing my frags and selling cheap.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...last year I lost my 2-year-old son to a super rare mutation, literally, he was the only recorded case of this particular mutation in the world. I have had tanks for a long time, saltwater since 2002, but I stopped taking care of my tank when he was born, just not enough time. But I use to bring him down here to watch the fish swim, it helped him fall asleep. When the mutation destroyed his heart when he was in the hospital for 11 months, I just gave up on my tank, no time at all, but the fish and corals were doing fine. During his stay in the hospital, he loved watching Finding Nemo, and I always played a video of swimming fish with sleep music on Youtube for him. And he loved playing with water. When he passed away, I was just going to get rid of it all. I didn't want to do anything. But eventually, I have decided to start all over, get a new tank, equipment, and fish, as a sort of memorial at home for him. I am a broken person, but cleaning the tank, watching the fish, and helping others here, make things a bit easier. So I am motivated to do the best I can to make this tank healthy and beautiful.
Very touching story. And glad youre able to build this system as a memorial for him .

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always learning something new- and always being challenged!

.... and the gear :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: #shame

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine.

I hope tending this new tank brings you some comfort and peace. Sending you gentle hugs!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure bragging rights! I now have 100g more than my buddy - I'm extremely motivated to keep it that way! ha j/k

Anyway, it's satisfying to see fish & corals from various parts of the world happily coexist in the comfort of your home - don't have to dive far! It's more satisfying to see all your patience & perseverance are finally paying off - a sense of accomplishment yet humility at the same time. However, as for me -- the most satisfying part of this hobby is to share it with my wife & oldest son -- we all love the reef tanks (plural)! That is my motivation. Ok, addiction - I've said it! :)

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back