Losing Motivation in the Hobby :(

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much my perpetual feeling with my tank. I've been at this off and on for 20+ years now and have never been able to keep stony corals alive longer a couple of weeks. Fish do just fine, but not being able to keep stony corals is depressing as I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.

Why not just find what your good at, and run with it to the highest level you can?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have it all the time lol when i get bored i shut it down and build a new one lol. mosy of the fun i have is building a new setup

Clem75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been right there with ya. In and out of the hobby for 20 years. SPS is my goal as well but right now in shooting for a mixed for at least a year. Find why you love the hobby and stick with it.

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been there. My tank started to get taken over by cyano and algae which caused me to neglect it for a while, which then made the problem worse. I was able to get it back on track, but was still frustrated because I didn't understand the root of the problem. The BRS 5 minute guide playlist got me back on the right track and gave me the motivation to turn it all around so it's enjoyable again.

BRS Playlist

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found what I'm good at yet. Being really low income doesn't help either. Those dang fish aren't cheap lol.
Feel free to pm me if you ever need some guidance. I don’t know everything but I’m willing to help 1-1 and offer advice/tips/suggestions to help you with corals

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to pm me if you ever need some guidance. I don’t know everything but I’m willing to help 1-1 and offer advice/tips/suggestions to help you with corals

Thanks, I appreciate it. By this point I've tried numerous types of sps (except for staghorn and acropora) without success. The current test is a Turbinaria that looked great when I got it, but is slowly getting worse. Of course, I also just lost my skimmer a few minutes ago (pump died). One of those months.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I appreciate it. By this point I've tried numerous types of sps (except for staghorn and acropora) without success. The current test is a Turbinaria that looked great when I got it, but is slowly getting worse. Of course, I also just lost my skimmer a few minutes ago (pump died). One of those months.
Maybe I can make your month better

Would this skimmer suit your needs? It’s hang on but a good unit

56B2240C-452D-447F-89ED-C2C553AD802E.jpeg

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever felt a loss in motivation in the hobby? I'm not sure, but lately I've been less and less inclined to invest the time and effort in my reef tank. I believe that this is because I've recently started to see 2 of my Hammer Corals start to become unhealthy, which I feel so terrible and sad about, and on top of this my rock scape is infested with Vertamid Snails - it's a bit overwhelming.

Anyhow, I'm hoping this is just a phase, and I'll be back on top again.
Yes, for me it's the summer months.

I have other hobbies and the tank takes a back seat.

I still try to do monthly water changes, but I don't clean the glass as often, blow the rocks off as needed etc.

It's especially hard when out tanks are not thriving.

Hang in there bud! Reefkeeping is the weirdest most rewarding hobby I have ever been apart of.

Maybe get a inexpensive new piece of gear, frag, invert. Try some new techniques out.

Regards

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No clue. It's Eshopps so I doubt it would even work. I've had terrible luck with their products so far. Greatly appreciate the offer, but I'm going to either try to replace just the pump, or just get rid of the skimmer and switch back to a refugium :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem to recall reading some time ago that the median time in the hobby was less that 3 years. Lots of people get discouraged or lose motivation. It’s expensive and hard to be successful consistently … not for the faint of heart. I dropped out for almost 4 years in 2009 after keeping a reef tank continuously for 22 years. Kids were little and I did not have the time to dedicate to the hobby. Again, last year, I dramatically downsized due to growing disinterest. Same kids, now young adults, talked me into staying in a reduced capacity.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have it all the time lol when i get bored i shut it down and build a new one lol. mosy of the fun i have is building a new setup
I'm right there with you. I just started my 7th tank in 30 years. I love the project part of the hobby, planning, setting up, and stocking the tank. Love watching the corals grow. But then life happens; twice I've set up expensive systems and then sold my house leaving the tank for the new owner. 6 years ago I had a tank just suddenly start losing corals one by one, I took it down with frustration and switched to freshwater planted tanks. Got bored with that and now the tank is a reef again with new equipment, different lighting, ect.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right there with you. I just started my 7th tank in 30 years. I love the project part of the hobby, planning, setting up, and stocking the tank. Love watching the corals grow. But then life happens; twice I've set up expensive systems and then sold my house leaving the tank for the new owner. 6 years ago I had a tank just suddenly start losing corals one by one, I took it down with frustration and switched to freshwater planted tanks. Got bored with that and now the tank is a reef again with new equipment, different lighting, ect.
I wish I could buy a house with a nice reef system in wall, or with a sump room. That would be a major selling point for me

I hear ya though. I don’t have the time like I did 10 and 15 years ago. Which is why…instead of backing down, I pivoted, and went from sps mixed reefs, to LPS/soft reef. And I’ve never been happier. My build thread details my extremely low maintenance reef. Gives me more time what the family, and there are some crazy forms of lps out there and I’ve grown to love them

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% been there. A tank crash is definitely a kick in the teeth. I look back now and realize it was a huge learning experience. I have found I don't need to have a flawless tank to love it.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever felt a loss in motivation in the hobby? I'm not sure, but lately I've been less and less inclined to invest the time and effort in my reef tank. I believe that this is because I've recently started to see 2 of my Hammer Corals start to become unhealthy, which I feel so terrible and sad about, and on top of this my rock scape is infested with Vertamid Snails - it's a bit overwhelming.

Anyhow, I'm hoping this is just a phase, and I'll be back on top again.
Yes, everybody goes through loss in motivation in the hobby when things go wrong, when bad things snowball, but you will get that motivation back when you try and fix the problems and have success, do research here, watch videos on youtube, and do and buy the things to fix the problems, for it will be amazing how that motivation comes back when you see your work working in your tank.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have had lack of motivation for sure. Basically every summer. A few things you can consider:
- Simplify; some people LOVE the tech but others will find it overwhelming. You don't have to have a ton of stuff to keep a reef. Get it to where you're comfortable with it, and keep going. Maybe that means you don't really want to do corals. Maybe you just want soft corals.

- Restructure; you could try to re-work your rocks and come up with a scape that is more pleasing. Sometimes a change is all we need to regain some motivation or excitement.

- Definitely get some bumblebee snails as they will consume the small vermetids. If you also have the large variety, it can be rewarding to go around and chop with a fragging tool. Fish will eat them once they are out of their shell! I also found that kalk paste squirted into the shell will kill them quickly. Either way, do a few here and there as you find them. No need to try and get them all at once.

- Let the tank run in "cruise control" mode for a bit. In the warm months I don't do much with the reef. I just keep a schedule and make sure to do the basics. No special projects generally. BUT...

- Maybe you could do a special project. New shelf for equipment/supplies, clean out the stand, new sump, clean your pumps. Sometimes just the act of organizing and/or cleaning can make you feel a lot better about your reefing situation.

Hopefully the above isn't all garbage for you. :0)

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man that HOB Eshopps PSK-100H Protein Skimmer is old school, I had that same skimmer over 11 years ago, where did you get it? I had problems with that skimmer, it would leak on the floor, and after fixing the leak it took me over a month to get it working properly, it's an ok skimmer, you just have to mess with it to get it to work.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much my perpetual feeling with my tank. I've been at this off and on for 20+ years now and have never been able to keep stony corals alive longer a couple of weeks. Fish do just fine, but not being able to keep stony corals is depressing as I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Neither can I but I discovered I can keep macroalgae and softies and to my delight I love the ease of my current tank. Turns out that this is the nicest tank I have ever had in my almost 25 years of reefing.
IMG_20240212_122042343.jpg
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither can I but I discovered I can keep macroalgae and softies and to my delight I love the ease of my current tank. Turns out that this is the nicest tank I have ever had in my almost 25 years of reefing.
IMG_20240212_122042343.jpg
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg
I like your tank, it looks nice and Creepy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back